1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

frame mount hardware

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by lazypine, Dec 28, 2014.

1. lazypine

lazypine Member

Hi, I'm in the process of mounting a hiniker frame mount on my 2008 Chevy 3500 HD, everything is going great until i attempted to thread in the bolts on the rear of the front part of the mount. There is nothing there to thread the bolts into. Apparently there was something mounted on this truck before I purchaced it. Im suspecting a plow, but i really dont know. Any way, the hole is in the frame, but there is nothing behind it to thread into. Does anyone know of a place I can get hardware to install within the frame rail( box frame) so I can complete this install. I've seen nuts that have a "wing" on them so they can't turn once you install the bolt. It's just a matter of getting it into position so you can start the bolt. I'm just not sure where I can purchase that kind of hardware. Thanks, Neal

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

They either make bolts with long rods welded to them, or plates with the holes tapped to place inside the frame.
    And fyi, truck frames don't have threaded holes in them.

3. lazypine

lazypine Member

I understand that the frames do not have threaded holes in them, my question is WHERE can I purchase the specialized hardware you are referring to??

4. Look on hinikers website under the manuals inatructions etc tab in the top right corner of the webpage. Find your mount on the list and look at the parts diagrams for the part numbers you need and then google them. You should be able to buy the whole bolt bag or just the parts you need. If you cant find the parts to buy online contact a hiniker dealer with the part numbers you need. The install instructions include step by step instructions including pics. Took me about 2 mins to find your mount and parts diagram and find the bolt bag online for around $70

Last edited: Dec 28, 2014
  5. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Just weld a piece of flat stock to a bolt.

6. lazypine

lazypine Member

thanks for the reply, I already have the bolt bag and all of the documentation. This particular piece hiniker only supplies the bolt. Apparently the "nut" is supposed to be inside the frame already. I'm thinking when the previous owner removed the plow? The special "nut" was left loose inside the frame tube. Now I'm left with just the remaining hole. There is one of the oval tie down points close by that I might be able to fish a nut thru, but it's gonna be fun. Neal

7. lazypine

lazypine Member

that may be my only solution if no one knows of a place to get the "specialized" hardware. I just have to make sure it isn't too big to fish it into position. I may have to remove the tow hook and try to snake it in from the front. I need a nine inch finger with a light on the tip :) thanks Neal

8. Yeah buddy I feel your pain....literally. just helped a buddy with a hiniker install on a dodge. And had tons of fun using their nut weldments etc! What size bolt is it? I think some of the nut bars that we pulled off his truck are still in my shop. They're a bit rusty but If theyd fit your application you can have em.

9. bliz&hinikerDLR

bliz&hinikerDLR Senior Member

A few ways to go about this might be:

- Drill and tap a piece of 1/4 or 3/8 plate steel and insert it into the frame rail.
    - Weld a flange nut onto a long piece of flat steel
    - Use standard washers and nuts but weld a piece of rod onto an old wrench so you can reach the nut
    - Go to your GM dealer and get the missing threaded backer.

10. lazypine

lazypine Member

i really appreciate your generous offer, but I'm going to try to remove the factory tow hooks and see if I can reach back to tighten it up. I think the hardware kit had an M12x1.75 class 10.9, but I'm sure a grade 5 1/2-13 would work too. If I can't get the tow hooks out, I get ahold of you . Thank you ,Neal

11. lazypine

lazypine Member

Hi, I removed the tow hook and was able to take a piece of 12guage wire and carefully guide the bolt back into position and drop it thru. Once I got ahold of the bolt after it dropped into postion i could just pull the wire off. I had a long wrench that I slid back into the frame rail to hold it while I tightened the nut from the underside. Not fun ,but its tight and the tow hooks came out and went back in with no problems. Thanks for all of the ideas. Sometimes it makes it easier to have a few different views to help solve a problem. Now for the wiring :) Neal

12. Glad to hear you got it done. The wiring should be a breeze after that

13. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

for the next time....wrap soft wire on the threads and fish the bolt thru...