1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Frame cracking question on a 98 K2500 (not cracked)

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by great white, Nov 16, 2011.

1. great white

great white Member
    from Canada

I've got a 98 K2500 and I'm getting ready to mount up my fisher MM1 to my truck.

The frame cracks on these trucks is soemthing new to me, I've never seen it.

Rust holes? yeah.

Cracks? nope.

The plow is coming off my 89 K1500. That truck ran the fisher 7.5 trip edge for more years than I can count.

The frame finally had enough rust holes and welded patches it was just not longer feasible to fix it. But never a sign of a crack like those I've seen on the forum.

So, I'm wondering if it has something to do with the way I built the mount oh-so-long ago. I took the MM brackets and bolted them up. Then I welded up a cradle and used some support bars from an old scrap plow setup I had lying around. Came out like this:

[​IMG]

Is this why my old 89 survived so long?

Did I fix the cracking problem before it ever got a chance to start?

And if I bolt it up to my 98, should I be able to expect the frame to have the same anti-cracking success?

Or could it be that I only plow my driveway (400 ft) and a couple other locals (also 400-500 feet-ish) than take the plow off?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011