1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Frame coating/ painting?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by 97S104x4, Jul 4, 2014.

1. 97S104x4

97S104x4 Senior Member

I want to paint or spray something on my new chevy silverado frame before the winter sets in and it starts to rust. It still has the factory coating on it and zero rust as its only a couple months old, but I would like to keep it that way if possible.

Is there anything I can spray such as an oil of some kind or a paint that would allow me to maintain the factory coating and prevent it from rusting?

2. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

I get mine sprayed with oil. Cheap, effective and keeps the rust at bay.

3. 97S104x4

97S104x4 Senior Member

motor oil?? lol Or is there a special kind of oil/ coating I can use ?

4. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

Oil undercoat it. Don't use fluid film as it doesn't last long at all. Heat up motor oil or bar and chain oil. Spray through a paint gun. Use a 3ft want to do inside the doors, rockers, etc. Make sure to get all in the wheel wells (may have to drill a hole then plug it up, same with doors, rockers, tailgate etc).

5. snowish10

snowish10 PlowSite.com Addict

If you have time, Por 15 is well worth the money.

6. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

I find Fluid Film to last much longer than motor oil.