1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Frame bending on an 08 gmc2500..help?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by infineon954, Nov 12, 2011.

1. infineon954

infineon954 Senior Member

My father has an 08 GMC 2500 extended cab truck. He finds out that just behind the passenger side front wheel that the frame on the truck is bending. Bending an 1.5".

Now, here is the problem. GM tells him that they will bend the frame straight again, but after that if he continues to plow and it happens again, there is nothing they can do for him. Also, they tell him that Westerns plow frame is not strong enough for the truck. So, GM sells a $35,000 truck that has plow prep packaging and towing packaging and now says we cant warranty the frame. BULLSH*T!!.

If it were any other plow manufacturer they would say the same thing. The truck has a flaw. Not Westerns problem nor my fathers. Has this happened to anyone else? Can anyone help?

2. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Pics? They usually don't bend, just break.

3. juspayme

juspayme Senior Member

thats jacked up. sell the truck 4 sure

4. great white

great white Member
    from Canada

I'd say if you can prove the plow doesn't exceed the weight rating and you've got the plow prep package it should be warranted if it happens again.

But it seems GM will try to get out of anything these days if it's going to cost them a buck....

5. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

GM isn't out to "get out" of anything and is actually extrememly generous with warranty and goodwill. A case like this needs some serious consideration before making a call. Is the frame really defective or does it have loads being put on it that it wasn't meant to handle? Did it hit something? It's possible that this could go either way. Just curious: What dealer are you working with?

6. 1/2tonthatcould

1/2tonthatcould Member
    from MA

Ive worked in a body/frame shop for 5 years now and over that time weve only fixed one frame due to plowing, and all we had to do was adjust the push plates. Frames dont just bend, they have to be hit really hard.
    Have a shop look at it, perhaps it was a factory defect. Our rate for frame work is $40 per hour. Granted it takes about 25 min to set it up on the machine, then take meausurments and then do pulling.

7. great white

great white Member
    from Canada

If the OP can prove the plow is within the fawr specs, and has the plow prep package then the repair should be warrantied.

As to whether or no thte truck has been "hit", the onus would be on GM to prove that.

easy enough, if you know what to look for.

As to GM "getting out of stuff", yeah, they do....personal experiences.

Not trying to start an internet fight. My (and many others) experiences are different from yours.

been on the short end of the GM stick once too many times.

I'll never buy another new GM...but I don't mind my old 98 K2500. I expect to have to repair things on the old girl at my cost and well out of warranty.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  8. downtoearthnh

downtoearthnh Senior Member

My '08 3500HD single rear wheel Diesel ended up with a cracked frame last winter. Several discussions with the dealer and GM, which resulted in a "goodwill" fix, but a warning that the truck was not rated for the installation of a plow! Came from the factory with a plow prep package, but that didn't matter. In '11, GM went to a full box frame, and now advertises that the trucks are "plow capable".
    GM insists there was not a problem, but the solution states otherwise!

9. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

The area GM had issue's with cracking is already boxed area since 88. The new design hopefully is stronger and made with better steel so it won't keep happening.

10. ajman21

ajman21 Senior Member

they have been upgrading the steal but the problem is that the ultra high strength steel while being initially stronger doesn't so much bend as it breaks when hit.