1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

fourwheel steering

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Nailit1954, Oct 6, 2002.

1. Nailit1954

Nailit1954 Senior Member
    from ma.

Just seen a commercial about the new silverado with four wheel steering.I was wondering about the possabilities with plowing with this feature! Any feedback?

2. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

A lot of extra parts there to break. Maybe in a few years when tehy get the bugs out, but I don't see that as a viable feature in a work truck.

3. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

In theory, it should help maneuverability greatly. You should be able to turn like an old Jeep CJ, and the rear tires shouldn't drag through your windrow.

This isn't new technology, I recall a few manufacturers trying it in the past. Honda had a car set up like this, but dropped it in a short time, too many quirks. Let's face it, if the Japs can't get the bugs out, do you think Chevy will?

4. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

At first, I agreed with Alan that it would be better to wait for a few years before they get most of the bugs out. But someone have to buy them to try it out and see how well it works before they could improve them.

5. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I would be worried about loading down the rear. Just don't see it as being as strong as a solid axle. Kinda like a Chevy IFS front. Whoops don't want to get into that here.

I think the idea is good but I don't see myself buying one. As Alan said too much to go wrong and expensive/time consuming to fix when it does.

6. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

thats what extended warranties are good for. something breaks down the line, it gets replaced for free. They tried them for awhile in the gmc's and now have them available in the silverados, and i think soon in the suburbans.

7. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Perhaps you missed the time factor. Something complicated like that is going to take more time and also make "field repairs", those done in the middle of the night to get through the storm, much harder. I will stick with the straight axle for now.

8. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

chevy has been testing four wheel steering for 2 years. and as four the wieght it is still a solid axle with steering sort of like the old chevys. i love it and would love two have one

9. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

It can't be a solid axle unless the whole axle pivots. There must be u-joints or CV or something and a steering knuckle at the ends to allow for steering. Along with this there must be a hydraulic, I assume, steering setup. All of these are weak points in a cargo carrying work truck IMO. I have seen more front wheel/knuckle/ball joints break in accidents and from overloading then I have seen semi or full floating rear ends fall apart.

10. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

By solid axle, I think he's referring to the old 70's style front axle, and he would be correct. I saw one at the NY Auto show and it looked very similar, with U joints at the steering knuckle like you describe, CT.

If it works, it ought to be pretty good, but I don't usually buy anything the first year out.

11. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I would agree Pelican. I knew what he was saying. Same as Ford continues to use in the front. Difference in the rear is that is where most of the torque (even in a 4wd) from the motor is transfered to the road. In a work truck it is also where often most of the load in the truck is. These two factors would put me in great fear of having a steering knuckle and u joint in the rear axle. I would prefer a straight solid axle with heavy bearings sitting on leaf springs.

12. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

I think it uses the dana 60 axle. It is only on the 1/2 ton so it would be planty strong.

13. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

actually i think they do offer it in the 2500's. the front axles carry the weight of you the engine and cab, so i dont think there will ba a problem. they do look pretty hevy duty.

14. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Try this...

Dont know if that worked.

Thanks Hoot!

[​IMG]

15. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

Ever see a dog chasing his own tail...

Or one of those Monster trucks when the rear steering gets stuck???

Don't know as Iwould want one on my truck unless it was absoFREAKINGlutely BULLETPROOF.

16. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

i love it. and think it would work out excellent for manuvering

17. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

I'm sure Delphi has the bugs worked out. Its been out for a while. I see that they are offering it in the 3/4 ton Suburbans this model year. I personally would like to see beefier components, but unsprung weight is a double edged sword!

For an ALL-OUT plow truck, I've always thought a 4WS, 4WD, Blazer/Bronco would be about ideal! You could use a 3/4 ton rear with fabbed on steering knuckles from a front axle, and incorporate a remote hydraulic steering system. You wouldn't need the "high-speed" same angle steering part (crabbing), just the ability to turn around in a small driveway would be WAY COOL!!! Crabbing would be kinda neat though :D

18. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I think that it is another thing that chevy will be fixing alot of.I don't see the practicality of plowing with it. It is not a truck i would spend the extra mony for.

19. Brickman

Brickman Senior Member

According to Grounds Magazine it is only offered in the 1/2 ton set up. Not nearly heavy enough for me.

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!

20. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

well if for some stupid reason you don't see how the turning abillity would make it easyer for plowing than FINE!!! but i dont feel how bashing chevys is going to help it. and i will bet that dodge and ford have bought one of these to try to make it work on ther vehicles.

by the way monster trucks have four wheel steering