1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fourth season, same headlight problem

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by Ash, Dec 2, 2007.

1. Ash

Ash Junior Member

Another plow season starts and my plow light problem returns. :mad: This is the third year that when I hook up the plow, my passenger side plow headlight does not come on. The same problem happened for the past 2 years. All the other lights work. The passenger side truck headlight stays on.

To fix the problem I take it to the dealer, he checks it, replaces the small black box # T92S11D22-12, which is a relay I think. The plow lights work throughout the season. The following year the same problem occurs. What is "breaking" the relays in the off season? The plow is stored in a garage when not on the truck.

This has happened since new and this is now my fourth season. Any ideas as to what is happening would be appreciated. The Truck is a Dodge Ram 1500 extended cab 2004 and the plow is a MT90 with remote controller.

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Try cleaning the contacts, at the relay and the light plugs.

The both headlights share the relay. If the drivers side light works the relay is not to blame.

If both lights are not coming on, then it could be the relay.

The relay is on the truck. It rides with you at all times, where/how is it mounted

3. Ash

Ash Junior Member

Thanks for the info. It's useful to know that the relay is fine if one headlight is working. The shop always replaces the relay and says it now "fixed". Last year I asked for the "broken" relay and I've got it on my desk. Some contacts have a green coating on them.

Do you think spraying wd-40 on the relay connectors without removing them will do a quick cleaning? I won't have time in the morning to pull and sand the relay connectors. Or could the wd-40 damage the relay?:confused:

I don't think it is the light plug connectors since I keep them well lubed with dielectric grease.

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

WD won't hurt. I think i'd clean them good, then di-eletric them. Make sure your groun between the lights is connectd.

5. Ash

Ash Junior Member

Thanks for the help basher.:salute: I looked at the relay and it is corroded. Will clean today with emery paper and place dielectric grease on connectors.

What is the ground between the lights and where is it?

6. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

The ground that Basher is talking about is the white wire between the 2 lights. Make sure that these plugs are also free of corrosion and dielectric grease them as well before plugging together.

Here is the install manual for the 99100529 harness and the 99100655 adapter that you should have for your F150. If you already have them please disregard.

http://www.snoway.com/service/LightKits/97100798A.pdf

http://www.snoway.com/service/LightKits/97100942b.pdf

7. Ash

Ash Junior Member

I've got a Ram 2004 1500. Will the diagram apply to this truck? I don't have the diagrams. My manual only came with the engineering schematics and I can't read them.

On my registration the auxiliary light serial no. is ALC120051 with Blade model MT90 and Power pack model 99100468.

I appreciate your help

8. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

My bad I should have read further up in the thread. For your Dodge you will need the 99100529 harness so the link to the manual that I posted will work for your truck. You do not require any adapter harness for this application.

9. Ash

Ash Junior Member

Well that was a fun two hours of pulling and cleaning the two relays. Sanded and greased connectors and still the plow passenger headlight will not come on. The plow passenger hazard light (yellow) comes on though. The truck passanger headlight stays on while the driver side works properly. Last year the dealer replaced a relay and everything worked. Ditto previous year. Guess its back to Snoway.

Between this and the weak remote control unit (auxiliary antennae added, new remote, and new controller all on my dime and still not working as supposed to) this has been one disappointing experience with Snoway.

Better get to the dealer soon since a trooper was eying my odd headlight situation the other day.

Thanks for the help