1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Four Wheeler

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by B&K LawnCare, Oct 5, 2007.

1. B&K LawnCare

B&K LawnCare Member

Hey guys, I am looking to purchase a four wheeler to do are sidewalks. I was wondering how big of a four wheeler I need and how big of plow. I would like to have a plow with power angling on it, is this possible if so what kind would you recommend. Thanks

2. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

I would go no smaller than a 400 ,get too big like some of the Bombardier stuff and it's a little too big for walkways (where we use quads) as far as power angling, I'm not sure such a thing exists for quad plows, someone may make it but I'm sure it'd be big money and not worth it. We run Kawasaki's never had much of an issue, the one with a foot shifter has a issue with Ice build up and is kinda tough for me personally as I wear Sorel pack boots and have a size 13 foot so getting under the shifter is kinda tight, I'm glad I spend most of my time in a truck and very little on a quad. I'd go with something automatic.

3. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

We have a 95 Honda 300 4x4 and have used it since new with a 60" blade, never have ran out of power. Auto shift would be better though.

4. B&K LawnCare

B&K LawnCare Member

ok you guys with a four wheeler what brand of plow do you use?

5. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

I had a Moose Plow on my Wolverine and it could handle anythng I thru at it. The Paint held up great too.

6. lawnmasters2006

lawnmasters2006 Senior Member

i bought a 06 polaris 800 efi....starts good when cold,great on the gas..an will push like a mule...an is a auto....

7. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

Kimpex - 48inch, works great.

8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Mines a Kimpex too, the guys have bent it up pretty good but it's still going strong.

9. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

I find you have to always angle it going over most sidewalks.... it doesn't like the bumps. I have had it about 8 years now, and it looks great, works great. I might look into something other then the winch though. I find it far to slow. There is a new hydro pump thing out that looks like it has potential.

10. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

MIne has manual lift, no winch. I agree on keeping it angled.

11. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

Mine's an air operated V-Plow I built my self.

Quad is a Polaris 340 4 stroke. Plenty of power, but a little too light. If it won't push it,(over 8") I get out the tractor w/the blower.

12. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

Quad,

Post a few pics of the air operated setup...:redbounce

It sounds really interesting!

13. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

I have a Polaris 330 Magnum with a Warn 48 inch plow which is operated by my Warn winch. I keep it angled and it works great. Get some decent tires. Stock tires don't do the job in snow. You want tires with big lugs. Also compare the weight of machines that are of interest. The heavier the better.

14. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I had a 60 inch plow on a Polaris Sportsman 700. Plow wasn't big enough, I was always going to add some wings and a foil to it, but I ended up selling it. Had enough power to shove 12" of wet snow anywhere I wanted. My plow they only made for one year, then they went back to the normal front hitch style. Mine was awesome, the frame ran under the machine and connected to the hitch, so you were actually "towing" the plow.

Get the heated handgrips they make for snowmobiles.

I wouldn't recommend doing doughnuts with the blade on. It can act as a fulcrum under certain conditions.

15. Leisure Time LC

Leisure Time LC Senior Member

I have an 06 Grizzley 660 with a 48" plow and could not stop it last year. It is automatic and was definately a time saver.

16. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

Here are some pics

www.bbyardscape.com Click Services, Snow Plow, Air Powered V-Blade

These are older pics. It has been modified since then with a different air tank and a hand built blade with rubber edge

17. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

Very nice setup, thanks for the pics! The compressor setup looks great... :drinkup: