1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Four wheel drive?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by milwaukeevtwin, Dec 9, 2009.

1. milwaukeevtwin

milwaukeevtwin Senior Member

1989 GMC 2500 When it put it in four wheel drive it acts like the front tires are not working? The rear just spin and i get no traction out of the front. When i put it in low the tranny just gears down. Same thing. It does not even grab when you turn a corner. Transfer case? Any ideals?

2. Duncan90si

Duncan90si Senior Member

Check the 4WD fuse. It could also be the thermal switch thats on the front diff.

3. milwaukeevtwin

I hope it is the fuse. I WILL TRY LATER.THANKS

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

5. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

My actuator died on me in the middle of a blizzard three years ago. Thanks to a very knowledgable and experienced mechanic out of Michigan, I was back on the road 10 minutes later. His solution was to install a regular lug nut (about 1" long) before the actuator. Basically, since the actuator didn't work, this would lock the axle so that I would still have 4wd. It is similar in principle to leaving your external lock-out hubs locked in and just shifting the transfer case.

The real fix was when I cut all the IFS garbage out and installed a high-pinion Dana 60. :nod:

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I actually did some "creative repairs" on mine last nine. I used a 7/8 socket. Fit perfectly.

7. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

Its a very common problem, as stated above the best fix is the 4x4 posilock.

8. tuna

tuna Senior Member

I`ve done the lugnut trick a few times works great,BTW I left it that way for 4 years no problem.

9. milwaukeevtwin

truck

Well it was not the fuse. Thanks, For the help guys.

10. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

It's seldom if ever the fuse. It's either the actuator, as I've already described, or the switch on the transfer case itself. I'm willing to bet its the actuator.

To test this, unscrew it from the axle housing, engage the 4wd and wait to see if it extends. This may take a minute ot two as it is thermally driven. If this does not work, check to make sure that you receive 12V at the actuator plug. If you see 12V, then the actuator is bad. If you don't see 12V, then the switch at the tcase or wiring in between is at fault.

11. milwaukeevtwin

truck

Well i took it to the trans shop. I just do not have time. We are still playing catch up with that truck down. Thanks for all the help. We will see what he says.
    Thanks, Ron

12. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Where are you located Ron? If you were close I would have gladly looked at it for you, but you're probably up around Chicago.

13. milwaukeevtwin

I really appreciate that. I live in South Beloit.This is my first year plowing for my self and i have had all kinds of problems. Oh well that is part of the business.
    Thanks, Ron

14. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

Does any one know what is the life span of these actuators? Are they all the same for 88-98 trucks?

15. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

The lifespan is indeterminable, but can be anything from a couple years to a couple decades.

There was a change in 96-ish era when GM upgraded to a fully electric unit. Posi-lock is available for a similar price to doing to upgrade on an older truck.

16. bad93blaster

bad93blaster Member

those work i have one in my old 1ton. i was blowing actuators on the 2nd 3rd time putting in 4 wheel drive ( cheaper for posi-lok then tring to figure it out)

i have also used a cut down 1/4" bolt in the middle of the night

17. M.S.P.M.

M.S.P.M. Senior Member

I have a similar problem but my 4 wheel drive wont engage at all. Its a 98 and it has the electronic push button system. It was just working this morning. Any help would be greatly apprecaited?

18. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Can you still hear the transfer case shifting?

19. Duncan90si

Duncan90si Senior Member

Along with what he said, try putting it in low range. Does it go into low range and is still in 2WD? Or does it do nothing?

20. M.S.P.M.

M.S.P.M. Senior Member

I can hear a clicking i dont think its the transfer case. Since its electronic I was thinking mabye a selanoid. But I tried low range and that did not work either.