1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Four wheel drive wont engage

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by billet-boy, Dec 27, 2012.

1. billet-boy

billet-boy Member

I have had issues with the 4wd on my 2006 gmc 3/4 ton not working on occasion's but would always engage eventually until today, it took about an hour of plowing in twd before
    it started working so i left it on for a day or so. On my way home it came out of 4wd as i was driving and it will not go back in what part do i start with?

2. BPK63

BPK63 Senior Member
    from CT

I had the same issue it was the actuator on the front axle that was bad. It would take a while to go in then after a while it would pop out.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  3. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Assuming that it is a push button 4WD, I would suspect that it is the transfer case shift encoder motor. Lots of problems with these on late model GM trucks and SUVs. Sometimes the encoder ring can be replaced and cure the problem, however, most of the time the motor housings are to corroded to get apart. GM didn't have many problems with the front axle actuator in the post 99 body style. Early and mid 90s trucks had an upgrade to the late 90s style actuators, but again, not many problems with the post 99 trucks. Good luck

4. mn-bob

mn-bob Senior Member

If the push and pray button on the dash blinks when you try to select 2 -4 or auto but does not change my money would be on replacing the encoder motor how ever if the service 4 wheel drive message came on then it has set a code and if you take it in and have the code read it will tell you for sure . Good luck let us know how it turns out . ussmileyflag

5. crazywelder72

crazywelder72 Junior Member

i have had to replace the transfer case shift motor in my truck 3 times. Buy a napa one as the dorman has a lifetime waranty. you have to drop the front driver shaft to install it but it is a easy job.

6. Dr_Goodwrench66

Dr_Goodwrench66 Member

The encoder motor is probably split in half from the corrosion!