1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Four wheel drive problems

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Millsy, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Millsy

Millsy Junior Member
    from Canada

I have a 2007 new style with eletronic 4X4 and I will lose four wheel drive .It shows traction control light but still no 4X4.If I shut the truck off and on again I get it back.Has anyone had this happen or know what it is?

2. GVL LLC

GVL LLC Senior Member

if i had a guess I would check the wiring harness that connects to the transfer case. With all the salt they tend to go bad. Maybe you have a broken wire or corroded connections.

3. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I just had the same thing happen a couple of times on my last storm, 07 NBS. I thought maybe something was overheating (a resister or something) but shut the truck off and it resets. Let me know if you figure it out, truck goes for annual sticker next week so it's on my list.

4. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

On my 03 2500HD earlier this season I couldn't get it to engage in 4wd unless I held the 4hi button while turning the key on, had to do the same thing to shift in 2hi. The problem for me was the transfer case control module (TCCM).

Gotta love electronics.

5. Millsy

Millsy Junior Member
    from Canada

Thanks guys,it is going in the dealer tomorrow morning at 7:45 to find out .I will let you know when I find out .

6. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

It hasn't been said, so I will say it... Encoder (transfer case shift motor) motor. Im not so sure how commen they are on the newer trucks, but that has been a GM fault for many years in the early to mid 2000's. If it turns out it needs it, check RockAuto.com. I just bought one from them for my truck for half the price as NAPA and AutoZone

7. Millsy

Millsy Junior Member
    from Canada

Ok boys she is fixed.I had a bad battery and when the volts get to low it kicks out the four wheel drive.The traction control wouldnt work because there wasnt enough power to run it.I now have installed the two battery set up that I was going to do anyway after the season was over.

8. Mr.Markus

That's not gonna be my problem....I have 2 batteries (new last fall), and 2 alternators, my voltage barely moves. The shift motor...encoder? Makes me wonder how it could be reset by turning off the truck.?! Fun stuff.

9. Millsy

Millsy Junior Member
    from Canada

Damn,maybe mine isnt fixed.I sure hope so though.They plugged it back in and there were no codes either.While i was there i got them to change the tire pressure warning levels too.

10. Mr.Markus

It's intermitent so time will tell. I hope your problem is fixed. I like that it's not disabling, just annoying.

11. Millsy

Millsy Junior Member
    from Canada

I am always worried about shutting it off and it not starting.I knew the battery wasnt the stongest but didnt know it was that bad.I am old school and never like shutting something off once it is going.Pretty hard to get help in the middle of the night in a snow storm.