1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

four corner strobe question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by chriscasto22, Jan 27, 2005.

1. chriscasto22

chriscasto22 Junior Member

i recently installed a set of whelen hide a way strobes in my 04 f250 psd. i have noticed sence i have wired them in and run them when i am plowing, they are draining the battery power (heat, radio and lights go dull). i ran the neutral (ground ) wire to the frame of my truck instead of the negitive terminal of the battery. could this be the problem? I also have two batteries , should i switch what battery i am pulling the power from? I would appreicate any help you guys can give me. thanks

2. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Shouldn't matter where the ground wire is connected to, is your alternator up to par and are your batteries in good shape. Have the output checked on your alternator. You might have a bad cell in one or both of your batteries. What battery are they connected to main/auxillary and what other accessories are you running? Could be lots of things causing it.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2005
  3. chriscasto22

its connected to the main battery, (drivers side), oly other accesories is the plow. altinator should be fine, the truck is only 4 months old.

4. Gene L.

Gene L. Junior Member
    from CT

sounds like a negitve short, means lights would still work but large electrical draw. go over the wire route again making sure no exposed areas, also strobes use much less power than say a rotating light so power draw should be little. I used the ground in the truck lights as my ground for the strobes. Do you have them in the tail light area? and the front blinker area?

5. chriscasto22

i put mine in the front turn signals and the rear reverse lights. i have checked all the wiring and there is nothing exposed. i put my ground wire to the frame above my drivers side headlight. any other thoughts?

6. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

I gorunded my strobes to the box where it bolts to the body..seems to work fine and no wire to run.

7. ZamboniHDB

ZamboniHDB Senior Member

Sounds like something screwy is going on and I believe it has to be in the power supply. I grounded all of mine close to the power supplies. My Whelen 90 watt power supplies draw 9 amps or less which is obviously much less than the head lamps and running lights when they are illuminated.

Just my .02¢
    Rick

8. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Just a thought, could it be your plow that is drawing too much power. Maybe that plow motor is sucking to many amps but I assume it is fairly new too. I just can't see your new strobes sucking up enough power to drain you system. Running strobes and a plow on a new truck with dual batteries should not drain the system. Even if you were running a salt spreader and large flood lights for backup lighting it still should not make much difference. Sorry but I'm no help.

9. jimslawns

jimslawns Junior Member
    from Mid MO

It is definetly not your strobes. Did you loosen your battery cables when you did the install? I would check those connections first. Also if you had a short in your actual wiring going out to each strobe it would quickly blow the low amp fuse on the strobe box itself.

10. chriscasto22

thanks for all the responces, tryed everything you have said but no change.

11. 042500hd

042500hd Senior Member

Current Draw

Have you checked your power supply's current draw? Not what the cut sheets say it will draw but the actual draw? Could be a problem with your PS.Most strobe power supplies will draw more than a rotating light. My dual rotator draws about 6 amps. My guess is your PS will be drawing close to 10 amps. If it were me I would switch them to your alternate battery and see how that works.

12. tomdually

tomdually Junior Member

Is your batteries grounded to your engine block? If it is check and make sure it is grounded to the body as well, check the connection for a good contact, ie: tight and no paint, on the grounding point. I know this is a new truck and it was all checked out by the factory :sleeping: employees.