1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

four corner hideawy strobes

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mcwlandscaping, Sep 11, 2006.

1. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

i think im about to buy a setup for four corner hideaway white strobes for my truck..anyone have any suggestions on the best place to put them (i.e. as in which light housings)

thanks
    mike

2. snowbankr

snowbankr Member

Our Town Highway Dept. has those CAN'T SEE THE FREAKIN THINGS UNLESS YOU'RE RIGHT BEHIND THEM...but D-HAM....don't they just look cool... Useless as teats on a boar hog if you ask me. Give me the old school "bubble gum machine" round 4 light revolving roof mount... can't miss that. The hide-aways just don't show up in the daylight and don't show off that great. Just my opinion...for what its worth.

3. harley hauler

harley hauler Senior Member

It all depends on how many watts the system is. I run a 90watt 6 head 4 bulb set up on my truck with to up front in the head lights and two in the reverse lights and you can see me in the light of day a mile away I bought mine at MHQ in Marlbrough Ma.

4. JPLTrucking

JPLTrucking Member

Definately in the reverse lights. Be careful putting them in the headlights. They resemble wig-wags too much and you could be asking to get pulled over. Better off putting them in the front parking lights. Dont bother putting them in the red part of the tail lights. You cant see them enough. Just my $0.02...

5. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

I had them in my headlights on two trucks now and the cops don't even give my a second look. I try not to run down the road with them on but sometimes you just plain forget to turn them off. With the lots I plow they all front a busy 5 lane rd I want to be seen, and you won't miss my truck with 6 90 watt heads and a led on the roof.

Regards Mike

6. oman1999

oman1999 Senior Member

Hideaway Strobe Kits

I install emergency vehicle and utility warning light equipment. www.strobesnmore.com has excellent prices, pre-assembled kits and a great selection. I have had their kits and equipment on 4 of my trucks. No problems ever, the hideaway strobes are exellent if you can put them in a clear lense. Don't go below 60 watts. LED or Amber strobe lights on the tallest part of your rig is a good idea. I can move traffic with my lights and they are all "undercover" I've looked into a lightbar but have yet to need one.

7. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

Show us some pics OMAN

8. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Put them in the front outter blinker and in the reverse lights in the rear.

9. oman1999

oman1999 Senior Member

Amber hideaway strobes

I plan to install amber tube hideaways into the 06 F 650 truck that my boss is using for large lot plowing. The truck is an ultra low miles wrecker with a Stainless steel diamond plate roll-back bed. Can hold HUGE weight. He has a skid mounted spreader that can be loaded and off-loaded with the winch. We can also put an S300 Bobcat on the truck with a 8' straight plow or large capacity bucket with room to spare. Truck has a 10' Fisher MC blade on it. It's a beast to turn around but think of the possibilities...Plow, Load and haul away the POS trucks that get stuck in the ditch or bust an axle trying to push the big snow. I plan to light this truck up like a christmas tree! I got nailed twice last year in "deserted" lots by idiots who are blind to the color yellow.

10. mcwlandscaping

They will be going in the headlights and the reverse light housing as i want to keep the light white. There will also be a full size whelen edge lightbar on the backrack, two rear work lights on the backrack and two rear worklights on the bumper, i love lights!

11. mcwlandscaping

oman...great link, theyve got a lot of nice stuff, ill deffinatly keep that in mind when i light up my suburban

12. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Ive always had 4 hideaways in my front lights in a few of my Fords. I couldnt stand the strobe light reflecting off the snow at night and especially BOUNCING OFF THE PLOW. I took the leap and got a Whelen LED Lightbar which I am happy with. I have hideaways in the rear, becuase they dont annoy my vision. If I want more strobe lighting, I was thinking of putting LED's on my mirrors, kind of like the cops have, but I would try to do it on my truck mirrors.

13. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

cant go wrong there

14. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

Gicon I agree. I cant stand the strobes or the head lights flashing in the snow. When coding with the F.D. I have all of my strobe and white lights on a seperate switch, so I can shut em down when I want. Like at nite or snow. You will love the LED's on your mirrors.

15. solar

solar Member
    from Mass.

Let me know if you have any luck with this. I've got an F-250 and would LOVE to set this up.

16. mcwlandscaping

wow do i feel like a total idiot, i NEVER thought of that when the plow is up, the lights gonna reflect off the back of the plow!!! on the road, pretty much all the lights go off, here its illegal to keep them on while driving on the road, but its illegal to plow without some kind of flashing light. The four ways probably would be durring the day becuase of the flashback at night, and just use my whelen light bar at night...all the lights on the truck are going to be switched seperatly so i can control the amount of light and where i want it!....... but, i freakin love lights!!! next vehicle, all LEDs!!!

17. flykelley

Light bouncing off the plow has never been a problem with me. It has never bothered me in 3 years of plowing. If they do switch them separately.

Good Luck Mike

18. ALarsh

ALarsh Senior Member

How many plowing accounts do you have Mike?

19. flykelley

Last year I had 12 of my own and plowed two Burger Kings for another company. With my full time job at GM 12 is plenty for me.

Regards Mike

20. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

I agree. I use Highlighter bars on all my equipment, and have never had a problem being seen. Dont care for the hideaway led setup. Cant see them. I can move traffic from about 3/4 mile with my rooftop lightbars!