1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Found some pics of my old rig

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by BushHogBoy, Dec 30, 2009.

1. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

wesport

'96 Ram 2500 Club Cab Long Bed Laramie SLT Cummins 12V little over 450 rear wheel HP and just under 1,000 rear wheel lb/ft of torque! NV4500 5 speed full billet, built to the hilt, Haisley dual disc clutch, Dana 80 rear 3.55 limited slip, Dana 60 front, 3500 springs in rear, 2" spring spacers up front, 35x12.50 BFG M/T's on 17x9 Mickey Thompson Classic alloys, 5" stacks in bed. 7.5' SnoWay with custom wings built by yours truly, they are made from an extra 6' 8" moldboard and are 24" each, making total 11' 6" they attach to the main blade with dual "receiver hitches"

Worked awesome, the average storm here is 2-4" I thought I would only use them at a big church I used to plow, but wound up using them at alot of my places even smaller places it was maneuverable enough and nearly doubled my times (at least it seemed like it)... Not fun to push with around cars and obstacles but on big lots got it crankin in 3rd gear high range and made awesome time :) Just had my sub (Snoway 6' 8" on Dodge 1500) doing smaller areas.

In some of the pics I had just gotten the plow done, I put the stacks in a couple days later, in the pics it was 4" straight pipe with a 7" tip.... When I did put the stacks on i wasn't sure if i wanted to miter cut them or leave them turned out, but cut shorter so I left them long for a short while (which I know looks ********, I wound up cutting them shorter and miter cut, looked real nice then) and NO my driveway isn't flat, its crowned like a road
    You can see it worked real great even windrowing heavy wet snow... There was this strange large black cloud in the sky above that place I can't explain :waving:

IMG00002.jpg

IMG00010.jpg

bigplow.jpg

IMG00007.jpg

IMG00009.jpg

2. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

The little SnoWay pump didn't like me LOL that was a really heavy setup, especially when a buncha snow stuck to it.... one more pic of backdragging with it... you can see it barely fit through that gate LOL again we had a good setup going with this and the sub's 6' 8" on half ton...

IMG00010.jpg

3. KL&M Snow Div.

KL&M Snow Div. PlowSite.com Addict

Looks good, I like the stacks.

4. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Thanks.... truck was the biggest pickup plow truck in town the next year, a few more inches of lift and 39.5x13.50 Super Swamper Iroks, dropped the plow mount down a bit lower... Worked amazing as expected.... Can't find any pics of it with that setup, but anyway... I got out of the business and sold the plow which was lookin pretty rough, that big truck was pretty hard on it since a 7.5' SnoWay belongs on a 1/2 ton gasser not a souped up lifted 3/4 diesel LOL but it did hold up really well all things considered it was doin twice the workload it was supposed to, well about 3x with the wings and the power/weight behind it...

Then I ran the exhaust right through the hood.

Then I lifted it more, totalling 12" of lift, much of that custom built.....
    ladder bars (aka traction bars) to support rear axle and eliminate axle wrap
    Custom built .25" wall 2" OD Stainless long control arms for front axle with monster Johnny Joints
    Custom crossover steering with 3/4" Chromoly heim joints and 1.75" DOM tube
    Skyjacker extreme drop pitman arm
    BD Steering brace (crossmember with bearing to go on end of steering gearbox sector shaft, eliminates slop and premature bearing/seal failure in gearbox)
    Transfer case drop to reduce front driveshaft angle
    Exhaust brake to help slow down the truck with 1,000 lbs of rubber...

And a bunch of other stuff... 46x15.50x20 Michelin XL military tires we mounted ourselves on 20x10 Eagle Alloys. These tires are no joke, they are used on HMMT's and have a load rating of 12,300 lbs EACH, easily 50% more than the truck's weight! When I finally got it all dialed in with the new setup, it rode BETTER than a stock truck and handled surprisingly nice for as huge as it was (could walk under the mirrors without so much as brushing your hat on 'em).. drove it 3 hrs one way to Bowling Green Kentucky for spring '09 TS Outlaw diesel drags and sled pulls, pretty awesome to pass semis at 80 mph and look over right in their windows :waving:
    And this was my daily driver, not just a weekend toy xysport

The truck in the background of the first pic (purple Ram w/rollbar) has 5" lift and 37's on it for comparison...

newbluetruckpic.jpg

river.jpg

attachment.jpg

5. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer Senior Member

That is friggin' badass!

6. littlenick

littlenick Member
    from OH

Im supprised you didnt have a CB radio in that thing...

Even its a dodge its a pretty sweet truck

7. cpsnowremoval

cpsnowremoval Senior Member

that plow on that dodge is real wide with those wings

8. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

lol thanks guys figured you'd get a kick out of it

9. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

the exhuast outta the hood is truely redneck

10. TLB

TLB Senior Member

had to be nasty sounding too ;)

11. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

That truck is wicked nice. I like GM but I realy like Cummins.

12. JustinD

JustinD Senior Member

Nice truck! Can't beat a 12V!!!

13. docsgmc

docsgmc Senior Member

i love the truck......did you have trainy problems or is that all a myth.......i am asking because i would like to get a 97 to 98 dodge cummins but i here the transition sucks....and how about the standerd trainsmition

14. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Thanks guys, the hoodstack was sweet with the exhaust brake too ;D

As far as the transmission goes- you will be fine up to about 400hp or so with a stock 5 speed, probably 500hp on a stock 6 speed. After that you need to upgrade to a 1 3/8" billet input shaft, but this can wait til you grenade the stock one. If you do it before its blown up its just insurance against a random breakdown (which is nice) You really won't have much if any problems out of a manual with these things until you start making really big power, and then its usually driving habits that hurt them. Big power requires a big clutch which is dangerous with an untrained unexperienced idiot behind the wheel...

With an automatic transmission, if you buy a used truck with over 100k miles don't bother changing the fluid unless you have proof that it was changed regularly as specified. Use a good filter and better fluid in an automatic. When it goes out, upgrade as much as you can afford. An upgraded torque converter, overdrive bands and clutches as well as valve body modifications or upgraded valve body, and a deeper higher capacity pan will help tremendously. Also add a trans temp gauge and don't overheat the transmission. The automatic transmissions used in these trucks weren't the best, but here's something to chew on:

Every other light duty diesel pickup (ie, GM 6.5 and Ford 7.3) used similar transmissions in the diesel as gas versions. Dodge did the same thing, only with an engine producing more torque, at lower RPM's. All were pretty decent transmissions behind a gas engine, and a couple small upgrades later they were ok with a diesel too. Where Dodge transmissions get a bad rep is most of them are neglected, overpowered and overworked. Its not too common to see a bone stock 12V Cummins truck, most are turned up and many have larger tires, while still towing heavy or what-not... All this extra power and larger tires are much harder on the (usually stock) transmission. People usually upgrade the power, but don't fork out the cash to upgrade the transmission to hold the power. What do they expect will happen????? Of course its not going to hold 100hp extra, it WASN'T MEANT TO!!!! Plus bigger tires etc. AND the extra load they can now haul with all that power... its common sense but since most people lack it, the truck gets the bad rep... Its a crock but oh well...

15. THE-BOSS-PLOWS

THE-BOSS-PLOWS Senior Member

That Truck is Sick I love the tall stacks and the hood stacks. I am a Gm Man but, since Gm is going lower the emissions on the diesels I'm probably going with a dodge 2500hd or 3500hd with a cummins in it for my next truck.

16. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Few pics I found on my brother's I-Phone earlier these kinda show how big it is a little better.. Thats him in the last pic not me LOL

photo.jpg

photo 2.jpg

photo 3.jpg

photo 4.jpg

photo 5.jpg

17. 4u2nv

4u2nv Member

Not a fan of the wheels but other than that... that truck is nice! Where is it now? Still have it?

18. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

The wheels wouldn't have been my top pick either, but they were REAAAAALLLLY cheap, I got 'em just barely above cost and plus they were on sale already anyway..... couldn't say no, $760 for 4 brand new 20x10's with lug nuts, center caps, shipping, taxes and all!!!!

I sold it in September to a kid up in Anderson, IN. Just talked to him last night actually and he said he got drunk and beat the bed off of some trees then sold it to his buddy who was desperate for a big Cummins. I had removed the wheels, tires and bumper and sold all that stuff and some other things off of it already.

19. rusty_keg_3

rusty_keg_3 Senior Member

Wow, that thing is insane... how wide was that with those wings?

20. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

11' 6" aka frickin huge... LOL