1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

found an 04 GMC

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by BigDave12768, Mar 24, 2009.

1. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

I think I found a decent truck today. 04 GMC 6.0 2500 ext cab Black LS package loaded. Has cloth seats. 120k mileage. very well mechanically maintained. Has a MM2 8ft plow. Ok now the bad part. Need a rear bumper its twisted (250) Driver side rear quarter is crumpled a little. They have a tailight taped in there. So I think I can have fixed for about 500. Drivers door is bumped in on bottom. Looks to be easily popped out by taking off door panel. It didnt look creased. Paint has some minor scratches and interior is dirty. So I think 150 at detailer will get interior to look good again. I can have it for 7k. I told him I would let him know on Thursday. I plow for this guy and he is a big operation. So truck has been maintained as he has his own shop and couiple mechanics. MM2 is in decent shape from same year. I think its a Storm guard paint. I told him I only wanted to spend 5k. He said he would finance the rest. 200 a month. Plow is worth 2k So the truck has to be worth 5k right? Any issue I should look for? How do the trannies hold up in these trucks? No rust on it. I think I may have found my 2nd truck
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  2. samjr

samjr Senior Member

i love my 04 GMC 6.0 2500 ext cab and it can move some snow too they only thing there known for is the vent on the gas tank it runs from the pc in the truck and it focks up some how it costing me $400 to fix tymusic
  3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The tranny should be a 4L80e. Great transmission. Just be sure to make your shift pattern [R] to [1] not [R] to [D] when plowing back and forth. Have heard only good things about the 6.0 powerwise. Alse hear they are thirsty, and maybe exhaust manifolds. Plenty to read here if you do a little searching.

This is a good thread to learn about the 4L80e

Price seems very fair to me.
  4. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

If its a big operation odds are many different hired hands have plowed with it so I would be willing to bet its had a hard life. How the truck looks cosmetically is often an indication of how it was treated and driven. JMO
  5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Gotta agree with this. Guess I didn't pay that close attention first read. If this truck has been used for plowing, landscaping, etc. since day one - buyer beware. There's a couple companies that fall into the "big operation" category around here. The guys are smoking dope right in the company truck.

For that money you could probably land something else. Older, for sure. But either never plowed, or light plowing duty.

I might keep looking.

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Do you have pics of it?

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

they prolly kicked the piss out of it.

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

According to B&B on the newer trucks you don't gain anything by going to 1st just use the tow/haul
  9. BigDave12768

It was the owners truck. When I say big. I mean he is big for a Ladscaper I guess. He has about 3 Skid steer and 4 Loaders 3 Pelican sweeper. 2 Excavators 4 internationals with plows. 2 f350's 2 macks with Dump traielrs. And whole bunch of other junk I would even know what its called. Yes on a few occansions I have seen his brother or his cousin driving his truck. The thing is he is one of those owners that gets dirty and the truck shows this. The interior is dirty. But I will snap off a couple photos. I am stil up in the air. from what I have been seeing on value of this truck at 7000 it maybe over priced a bit. Becuase of damage. Plus I really dont want another bill every month. I am going to look at a Dodge tomorrow also. I f I pass on GMC and anyone has cash and wants it let me know. Not sure it can get a loan becuase of small accident. I know in MA they wont insure it with full coverage. I maybe wrong. But sometimes trucks with damge cant get full insurance.

95 Dodge 2500 v10 101k Fisher 8ft Fisher plow. New tranny Brakes and front end parts, tires. Very little rust on rocker becuae of the running board thing. Yeah its older. But I dont want the extra insurance cost and the payment. If ecomony was better I would lean towards the Chevy more.
  10. BigDave12768