1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Found a plow, how much to rebuild? how well will my truck push it?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BushHogBoy, Dec 6, 2004.

1. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Found a older Meyer 7.5' blade. The good part- was painted every year and stored inside when disconnected from truck. It was on a late 70's Chevy but i don't know if it was new then or if it was a newer plow. It has electric pump. Comes with everything but the truck mount, asking price is $200. The guy said he disconnected the angle cylinders and pushed the rods into the cylinders themselves, so that they would not rust sitting with the cylinders pushed out all the way. So it sounds like he stored it well from what i can tell.
    He said when repainting it, he used yellow and black same as it was originally.
    The bad news- it is 3 1/2 hrs away (owner lives here though) he will bring it down for me but i won't have him bring it down unless i know if i want to buy it or not, so i can't really get a look at it before being interested in it.
    Now, about how much would it cost to do everything it would need such as replace hoses, have the pump rebuilt, etc? I'll take care of the mount and can do the rest of the work too, except rebuild the pump maybe. If they are fairly simple i'll do it but if they are complex i'll find someone to do it. But how much money do you think i would have to sink into this?

Finally... my truck... is an '89 F350 XL, long wheel base, dual rear wheels (narrower axle than pickup) with a 12' flatbed. Not a 4x4.
    With maybe about a ton of weight in the bed, this would push the plow ok right? Now i know the plow isn't wide enough for the truck since it's a dually, but i measured and if the plow is not angled, it will cover the rear wheels. I will probably only be using this on residential driveways medium and larger size, where i don't beleive it will be necessary or possible to angle the plow much, probably mainly just backdragging and foward pushing. For smaller size drives i would use my 42" 17hp hydro walk behind snowthrower. The garden tractor i was going to build into a plow tractor, has a bad engine and i don't feel like messing with it anymore as it needs alot of other work besides engine and making a plow fit it. I can't use the snowthrower on all of the drives because i am asthmatic and its all i can do to shovel a sidewalk to the door from the drive without having problems, so walking behind a snowthrower for the big drives will not work for me.

So, how much $$$ can i expect to put into the plow and how well will it work on my truck? Next year i'll probably have commercial accounts to plow with it and would add a set of wings to make it wide enough to clear the rear wheels. PS if i get stuck i have other plower friends locally that can give me a tug, or i'll call dad and have him bring his Jeep Wrangler (wish i could put a plow on it, would be 10 times better for driveways).

Thanks,
    Eric

Last edited: Dec 6, 2004
  2. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

Mount will not work on your truck but sounds like the plow hardware is a good deal whether you use it or resell it because owner kept good care of it. You do not run accross those very often.

3. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Why can't you? :confused:

I think 7'5" is still a little too small, that truck with DRW and Flat Bed is going to be difficult to run in driveways as it is. I think that you will find that you need to angle the plow quite a bit when plowing a driveway, especailly with a larger, longer truck. If the plow is a good deal, do what you said and get a set of wings for it.

4. JRSlawn

JRSlawn Senior Member

Buy it and make it work I have seen some of the stuff you make and you are telling me you cant make a mount. The pump itdelf is probably worth the 200.00 If it is two small add wings or add on to the plow.

5. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

No i can make the mount. It does not even come with a mount so i'd make one. The truck is too large for driveways but i beleive it would work. i'm not afraid to put it in very tight spots and i've been told that more than once too LOL. I'm still afraid i could get stuck since in driveways you don't have momentum like in big open lots. Plus i realized that the back tires on my truck are getting bald and not a good tread anyway. So I am searching for a cheap old beater 4x4 truck... i know of a few so i'll be looking at them soon... i could get one for under $1k and it would suit my purpose alot better IMHO. If its reliable enough i'd just drop insurance on the flatbed and put insurance on the 4x4 anyway... i can't afford to keep both insured... i'm tryin to keep my head above water this winter not sink!!! and its hard beleive me... i've got the work and most of the equipment but to do it right and buy the right stuff for the job costs alot... The truck insurance and mower payments are the worst right now.... So as a last resort i could put it on the F350 but would really like to find something else to put it on.
    I know of a early 80's? Chevy half ton 4x4 with a 350, a/t, newer tires for $800 (maybe take less)... i've looked at it before a buddy looked at buying it so i've seen it. decent truck.. may go talk to him tonight.
    Thanks,
    Eric

6. Dieselgeek

Dieselgeek Senior Member

For 200 bucks I'd pick it up even if you don't plan on putting it on your truck. Rebuild the pump, slap some new hoses on it, and you have yourself a plow. 200 bucks isn't much of an initial investment, so I would say go for it.

7. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

For 200 bucks you really cannot loss. You can part it out for more than that.

8. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Well thats what i thought too but also consider if i do not have anything to put it on, i can put that money toward part of a payment on the Ferris Z. I will see if that Chevy is still there tonight. I know of a couple other trucks too for sale in my budget range.

Why can't i put the plow on Dad's Jeep? Cuz it's his!!! you have to admit, snowplowing is alot harder on a vehicle than daily driving... I don't want to put a plow on his vehicle and he doesn't want me to. So i won't :angel:

Another cheap truck option i know of- 1985 Ford F250 4x4 diesel, C6 a/t. Its the 6.9 liter non turbo diesel. I looked at that truck once this spring also... wants $1100 firm. its rough but would plow fine. it needs tires. The motor would need some gaskets and TLC but it would get through winter fine, but on an older truck i would probably rather have a gas engine especially in winter time. I'm not a diesel mechanic and things are more expensive for them, plus i don't think a diesel starts as easy in cold weather especially the older ones. That F250 was rougher than the Chevy anyway.

seems i know of a couple other cheap trucks too....

9. ProEnterprises

ProEnterprises Senior Member
    from CT

eric-buy the plow!
    look at it this way, 200 dollars, even if you dont put it on a truck you could put $100 in it and then sell it for $500

or...your going to need a plow eventually anyway, so go with a cheap one while you got it. i think your 350 flatbed would to fine with it. we had an 89 350 ford dump that we plowed with for 10+ years, we had weight in the back and chains occasionally, never got stuck, ever.

keep me posted with what you decide on.

10. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

dropping it off at your local Meyer dealer and getting it rebuilt with a new electric motor as well as hydrolic lines will be about $400-$450, thats for pretty much everything as long as the valve body is in good shape.

dont fear a old truck for plowing either, they may not as pretty and confortable, but the simplicity of them means they will get you home everytime and if anything breaks its cheap to fix.

11. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Pro- the main thing here is that i'm on a real tight budget... The F350 is too big for these driveways, and it would need new tires at least on the rear if nothing else.. for the cost of new tires (at least $100 each) I could find an old beater 4x4 truck to slap this plow on, and not worry about tearing up my F350, also gives me a backup vehicle for pulling the trailer in the mowing/cleanup months, and its a second driver vehicle (meaning i can come home from mowing in the F350, leave it all hooked up and hop in the 4x4 to go out on the town or whatever...)

A lot of the beater 4x4's around here are lifted a little bit and oversize tires on them... which is perfect for me!!! i've always wanted a truck like that for personal use, just cruising around and stuff, but hard to justify something like that, but snowplowing is perfect way to justify it ;) LOL...

I cruised around tonight lookin at some options... the Chevy i talked about, its long gone.... a buddy has a red late 70's chevy 1/2 ton? with a flatbed, rebuilt a/t and it did have a 350 but he blew it up (it was a built motor too, that was a tough truck) with 35's i beleive and a couple inches of lift. wants $500 for it now, said he knows of a motor to go in it for $150 so we will see if he can get that together...
    I know of a late 70's F250, lifted, i know who has it and where it is but i don't know much about it. i'll get ahold of him tomorrow on it.
    I know of a orange 79 F250 extended cab, lifted with a 400 motor. not positive its for sale as of this minute but i beleive it is. has working factory a/c, tilt wheel, cruise control, a/t...
    And a blue '79 Dodge Power Wagon 1/2 ton 4x4, 4 spd stick shift. leather interior. $1500. it was my uncles truck had it since new. he'd probably get upset if i put a plow on it but he'll get over it. i hate to do business with relatives though, and its about twice as much as i wanted to spend. the only good thing about that one is, it don't look too bad for the age and i know he takes care of it.
    man i'm having too much fun truck shopping LOL i love shopping especially for something like this.... i know lifted trucks aren't the ideal plow truck but it would be fun for anything other than plowing :p
    Thanks guys
    Eric

12. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

that old powerwagon would kick some serious butt for plowing, my boss had one back in the day and still raves about it

13. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

its a half ton pickup not a big truck in case you were confused, but my other uncle has a '79 Power Wagon 3/4 ton with a 360, a/t, 4x4 and the thing won't die! its been every where, pulled everything/everyone, and done about everything... his daily driver is a '01 F250 Lariat CC, LB, 2wd 5.4 Triton loaded (leather and everything) but he drives the PowerWagon in wintertime to keep road crud off of the F250 (and he lives on country roads that don't get plowed the best)... and the PowerWagon is used to pull anything... he loves to use it to pull out people who get their vehicle stuck...

14. ProEnterprises

from CT

sounds like your pretty serious about this eric, have you decided to take the plow yet?

are you going to try and grab a beater tommorow? whats the max your trying to spend on it.

i understand what your saying about the 350, i didnt know you needed tires. just buy a beater and keep the 350 for nice work truck...ya know!!!??? lemme know what your plan is! :yow!:

15. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Latest update on truck/plow situation:
    My driveway is already overflowing (my truck, 12' trailer, 22' trailer, 3 cars, a jeep and a full size van) hoping to get rid of the one car and find a place to store one of the trailers that i will not use during the winter. But, even still it will be completely full. In other words, little to no room for another truck. Also I have enough work to need a truck but not enough to really pay for it and clear much profit, assuming it actually even snows a few good times here... and being as it is southern indiana, it could only snow once (plowable snow i mean) and i could wind up screwed.
    my mom is kind of my accountant partner and she is kind of upset over the idea of spending more money... all this year i have gotten alot of great new equipment for the business, stuff that we needed but it just only about paid for itself and then a little... i keep telling her that i came out with all this nice equipment so its not like i worked all year for nothing.. and she agrees but still money will be tight this winter and so basically in short, the truck thing may not work out. If i could find at least 4 good tires cheaply for my flatbed i'd probably put the plow on it and a bunch of weight in it, it would work doing the drives i need to do, and run the snowthrower up in the bed of it for small drives and extra ballast. i think it would do ok probably. its that or i'm back to garden tractors again... maybe trade off some of mine for a good big heavy one thats in good shape... i have a couple of near basket cases and a good running one with a weak hydro tranny, and another one that is my baby it will not be used either it has a tranny problem as well. Then one more tractor that is having multiple engine issues at the moment too!

How well would my front end hold up the 7.5' Meyer plow? Its a stock front end setup, again has the 7.5 liter 460 cid big block gas engine w/C6 a/t (big tranny, has a cooler on it). has coil over shock on the front end. Would it squat a lot since its a 2wd w/o plow package? could i get away with this?

one more possibility, my step uncle has a '85? Bronco II 4x4 with decent tires. it runs and drives fine but he said a new carburetor wouldn't hurt. can't remember what was wrong with this one. said he'd take 400 or 500 for it... may look into that i don't know.

I'm kinda waiting to see what my mom is thinking i guess...if you haven't figured it out yet i am 17, senior in high school.

16. btrussell

btrussell Member

Eric I knowhow it is being young and wanting all these things to help you make money. I am 18 and bought my truck year and a half ago and my plow a year ago. My mom wrote the check and Im paying her off as I make money with it. I would go with getting an old 4x4 and that bronco might be your best bet if you can get it since its short and you want to do residential drives and get that meyers for 200 and since he took care of it its practically a steal. All in my opinion though.
    Brian

17. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Yeah well i look at it as that i'm not making much money this year, just getting all the work and equipment to take care of it, then next year when i go full time i have all the equipment and some of the customers built up already. not worried about making profit right now just staying afloat! But i need to offer snow removal services so that my customers don't find someone else to do it, then go with that company for all their other service needs too. Also i have already commited to about a dozen drives this winter.

Forgot to mention, the plow has been sitting about 10 or 12 years! i'm thinking all new hoses and gaskets and the like....

18. btrussell

btrussell Member

Well i think you have the right idea with just establishing your bussiness right now. If you buy a plow and another truck it will pay for itself and even though that plow has been sitting theres nothing a little wd 40 can't unstick. I hope it all works out fine for you. Best of luck.
    Brian

19. ProEnterprises

from CT

eric, i am 17 too, and i know my parents arent big fans of me spending money either. i wold deff. go for the plow though. i mean, i know that the 350 will do fine with it. you should be able o pick up a set of rear tires fine, and throw some ballast in th eback, no problem.

whats your thought on that?

20. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Never in a million years would I plow with a stick shift ever again. Nor would I try and make a 4x2 work when it comes to plowing snow. Not only will you definately get stuck in 3 inches of snow, you get close to a building and get hung up and try to back outk you'll creep slowly towards the building.