1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Found a new account

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by doh, Nov 12, 2007.

1. doh

doh Senior Member

Ok, 20 minute drive timeeach way, 1/2 mile rough dirt road. split between 4+ residents. Possabililty to get 3+ residents while there.

Whats it worth?
  2. big acres

big acres Senior Member

What's it worth?

The road and travel has you for one hour at your hourly rate. Depending on the length of the drives you charge them each an additional $35,45, or 55. You quote your higher side prices to the three drives you have and tell them each that you'll knock-off $5 if they get the fourth on board with you. Let these people close the deal for you, either that or offer no discount and the fourth guy MAY go with the flow.
  3. doh

doh Senior Member

I want to give the call out people a break, i.e. the road signers @ $20 flat, and hope they sign up more for me
  4. big acres

big acres Senior Member

A half mile of rough dirt road is rough on the equipment. At least the $20 each x 3 gets you $60 for the hour you will certainly have into your visit. Are you really adding the drives in for free? Depending on the size and difficulty of the drives, if you just made $60 per hour for the road, your hourly rate just took a big nose-dive in my opinion.
  5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I base mine off $130/mi; then add for hills, curves and condition of road. Driveways would be extra. Make sure only one person is responsible for paying for the road. I'd also figure something for the drive time in the total.
  6. Jbowe

Jbowe Senior Member

Rough on equipment

Big Acres is correct. Rough roads are hard on equipment. I have one thats 3/4 of a mile long. I have photos posted of the one I do if you want to look. Don't underbid it or bid it cheap. Chances are that hes having a hard time finding someone that will show up on time anyway. That was the case with the one I have. I bid it high and he was happy to get me. Make sure you carry extra hyd hoses with you when your out there as well. Nothing worse then blowing a hose in the middle of no where and not being able to raise it. Good luck
  7. 92XT

92XT Senior Member

8. 92XT

92XT Senior Member