1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Forum specifically for Snow Blowers?

Discussion in 'Questions, Rules, Suggestions' started by Exact Services, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Exact Services

Exact Services Senior Member

Plowsite owner & Moderators?

Any chance of having a designated forum specifically for Snow Blowers, Throwers and shoveling etc....? For both the Insured Commercial operator and home owner alike.

I've searched the forums for "commercial" and "new to the industry" these last few weeks and it seems that it would be better fit.

I think this would free up those threads somewhat and would be less annoying to some of the old-timers here at Plowsite.

There is a separate forum for ATV's?

Thanks for the consideration :waving:
  2. Michael J. Donovan

Michael J. Donovan Head Moderator, Online Communities Staff Member

Not saying we will or we won't, but we do have plenty of forums right now so I am not sure if we will add a new forum. We are working on some other suggestions that have been made...such as possibly having an "accessorires" forum, where we could combine some of the already exisitng forums. We will let you know if/when we make these changes
  3. RenegadeX

RenegadeX Junior Member

I 2nd the snowblower forum nomination .. but at the same time agree that this place could do with some forum consolidation.

I found this site while looking for info on snowblowers. Though I'd never actually visited prior to that, I was actually familiar with the name Plowsite.com from reading the Lawnsite.com forums in the summertime. In fact, looking at this:
    .. the highlighted part would lead most people to conclude that this would be a good place to discuss snowblowers. And it might be, if all the info was in one place rather than spread across 3 forums (New To The Industry, Commericial Snow Removal, Non-Commercial Snow Removal).

You're right - there are lots of forums on this site, but a lot of them have overlap. I mean:

- if you're new to the industry and have a question about bidding, is it best posted in NTTI forum, Commercial forum, or Bidding & Estimating forum? Heck, why not all 3?

- If you're new to the industry and want to know "Which is the best snowblower", you might currently post the question in the NTTI forum. Meanwhile, someone who's been in the biz for a few years but only with a plow might now be looking to get some snowblowers. So he might ask the identical question, but he'd likely post it in the Commercial Snow Removal forum. Meanwhile, I come along, I'm not in the industry, so ask the same question in the Non-Commercial forum. Needless duplication!

- A bad weather system is forecasted to come over my area, so I discuss it in the Weather Discussion forum. And then when it hits, I post photos in the Pictures->Storm pictures forum. Storm pictures are a product of the recent weather, so is there really a need to have a separate area just to post pics of what the weather left behind?
    - Ditto equipment pics forum.. if you're a commercial guy and you want to show off your arsenal, seems to me the guys & gals in the Commercial forum would be most interested in seeing them. Post them there and if I, a non-commercial guy ever get curious about what kind of equipment some of you pro's use, well I know where to find it (not to mention there's forum Search & thread Tags). And if you've got a nice photo of your latest upgrades to your Ford Truck, wouldn't the Ford Truck Discussion forum be best? After all you can post a pic, but it's better if you discuss in the post what it is we're supposed to be looking at!

- Take a look at the list of threads on the current first page of the Non-Commercial forum. There's: a) plenty of snowblower questions; b) plenty of plow questions (some specific, such as Sno-Way, which could/should be in the Snow-Way forum that is kindly available here); c) 'Maryland paralized' - a thread that would be at home in the Weather Discussion forum; d) a sprayer question - which could have gone in Ice Management forum; e) a question about Colorado amber light law - which probably should have been posted in the Trucks->Strobe Lighting forum; e) people saying "i've got a truck and a plow and was thinking of plowing a few driveways for money in my neighbourhood" .. perfect for the NTTI or Commerical forums.. ----- And so on and so on.

- meanwhile you have things like 'Liquids R Us', 'Rock Salt USA', 'Northern Ohio's Salt Solution' and more in the 'Industry Equipment Forums' section, but in the Forum Jump (or Forum Index page) they're all miles away (on the screen) from the 'Ice Management' forum link. It's a nice idea to have separate Industry Equipment Forums, but it does make things are a bit redundant..

Personally, while I love the fact that you've borken things down into specifics, in practice, it's not ideal as it seems most people don't really think hard about which forum is 'most right' for their posts, or guess, and guess wrong!

So I'd recommend consolidating many of the forums and perhaps renaming a few or adding a few (similar to the lack of a snowblower forum, I don't see a general 'plow discussion' forum, for example) so that they're more general in nature and therefore exposed to more interested or knowledgeable people. After all, the more people that see a thread, the better chance it'll produce good discussion. And that's what we're here for.
  4. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Non-commercial forum for those members who do NOT get paid(and/or not looking to get paid) for doing anything related to the Snow Industry.
    Yes, sections are broken down for easier searching AND because overly active forums leads to new threads being quickly pushed way back off the front page.
    New to the Industry just keeps newbies off the commercial section. Veteran Plowers who want to help newbies can go there. This section is for those looking to start a snow plowing related business
    Mike already answered the Snow Blowing question.
  5. RenegadeX

RenegadeX Junior Member

^ I know my post was long and while I don't mean to be rude, did you actually read my entire post?

CLEARLY, I don't need to be told what each individual forum is intended for -- I'd just posted example after example of posts that ARE appropriate in certain specific forums yet that are also appropriate elsewhere.

And CLEARLY I understood what Michael had said about the likelihood of a snowblower forum being added, but I was simply appealing with worthy argument to the 'might' side of the 'might/might not' possibility.

in theory 'yes', but in practice-- with the current overlap-inducing setup -- 'no'.

FYI (to recap): Both 'Exact Services' and trying to tell you that in our experiences, searching for info on a particular subject here on Plowsite.com is often MORE DIFFICULT than it should be due to the fact that:
    a) the same question/answers/general discussion might currently be found across multiple forums (each posted correctly in an 'appropriate' forum category)
    b) due to 'a', and, in some cases, the absence of a 'MORE appropriate' forum in which to post a question or share some info, some forums are seeing more topics posted than need be. This then pushes other 'more appropriate' topics for the forum off to page 2 and beyond. I gave a specific example of the bastardization of the Non-Commercial forum in my post....

Michael indicated some tweaking is in the works, I just hope the tweaks are the right tweaks.. :)
  6. Michael J. Donovan

thanks for the suggestions and we will take all suggestions into consideration if/when we decide to make some changes to the setup of the forums. Also, I don't think Charles was intending to be argumentative if that is the way that you took his post :D
  7. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Thats right. I was just putting EMPHASIS:D on what we do and why we do it, in case you(Renegade or anybody else on here) didn't know. I only focused on part of your thread because Mike had covered the rest in his previous post.
    We do appreciate any constructive input
  8. Exact Services

Pending snowthrowers reviews?

I haven't been on Plowsite for weeks due to record snow fall here in the Inland Northwest and I've been on a dead run since December 17th trying to keep up.

I will be posting reviews of the following snow throwers in all sorts of conditions.

Honda HS 1128
    Toro 421 QR
    Toro 221 QR
    Toro Powerlite

I use all the blowers commercially however I believe my input will benefit homeowners as well. I'm a new the the industry this year if that helps. :rolleyes:

So my question is where should I post the reviews and user input?
  9. Michael J. Donovan

If you are using them commercially then it would be fine to place your reviews in the commercial snow forum
  10. RenegadeX

RenegadeX Junior Member

Great.. I for one am looking forward to it!

LoL! for real!
  11. Exact Services

Not to beat a dead horse but I just wanted chime in again 'this season" on my support for a sub-forum for snow throwers single stage 2-stage etc.

12. flatlander42

flatlander42 Senior Member

What about a Lawn mower that uses a Snowblower on the front that is used Commercially, also this is my first year in the business,(for myself) but I also will use it at my home! I think I just confused myself! haha

The "Plow Guys" laugh at the snowblower guys in the commercial section, and the atv guys don't care either.

X2 for the sub-forum
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  13. peterng

peterng Senior Member

so which Toro is your preferred blower ?
  14. Exact Services

Toro 421 Quick shoot. However quick shoot cable assembly needs to be properly lubed up so they don't freeze. It's either the upper or lower cable that freezes. The rest of the assembly also benefits from being properly lubed....faster smoother. 2-stroke version is a bit lighter and has a little less grunt than the 421. The older 2450 is a tad lighter than the 221Q.
  15. JayD2

JayD2 Senior Member

Very good ideal......I was thinking the same thing, hope they will do it..
  16. flatlander42

flatlander42 Senior Member

I still think it'd be a nice addition too.