1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fort Collins Colorado Snow Market

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ESEnterprises, Jun 14, 2009.

1. ESEnterprises

ESEnterprises Junior Member
    from Iowa

We are planning a move to Fort Collins Colorado later this year after we get things taken care of in Iowa. How many plow-able snow or ice events does this area get? I see according to various sources that they gets about 40" of snow annually but in visiting with the locals on our last trip there they said they don't get much snow, and it does not stay along very long due to warm sunny days. How about ice and salt usage?

I currently have 4 plow trucks with salt spreaders, but am intending on selling two with my accounts before we move, I figure it will take awhile to build clients back up once we get out there and may just sub for the first couple years. Any tips for the area would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Eric Swab
    E.S. Enterprises, LLC
  2. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

Fort Collins doesn't get half the plowable events that the Denver suburbs or Boulder area does.

They get around 8-10 events or so a season...

60-80 Miles south your looking at 15-20 events....although this last season was pretty bad....We did have some nice big ones near the end.

The going rate for subs is anywhere from 60-75/hr and contractors are billing out 90-125/hr per truck. Shovelers usually bill out around 25/hr and get paid 15.

An inch or even less is not a uncommon trigger point out here in commercial work, There are many times where I start plowing when there nothing more than an inch of accumulation which is nice. But most commercial triggers are at 2 inches.

I really don't think there is ANY money outthere for plowing drives.

Why are you moving to Fort Collins?
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2009
  3. ESEnterprises

ESEnterprises Junior Member
    from Iowa

Thank you very much for the detailed information. The rates are a little higher than we get in Iowa, but the cost of living is higher as well. We usually get 10-12 snow events although some require more than one push. It has taken awhile but all of my accounts are 1" triggers which is nice especially with per push pricing. We also get about 4-5 ice storms that are salt only which is a good money maker and always salt after plowing as well.

Is salting normal out there? The vehicles do not seem as rusty as they are here?

As far as moving to Colorado, my wife and I are ready to move out of Iowa and have been looking at different states for awhile, we love the outdoors. We have not ruled out the Denver area but really like the feel and size of Fort Collins, where we land will depend on where she can get a good job, she already has had offers to work in Cheyenne, WY and in Denver. I really hate to start over in business but it will work out in the long run. What type of work do you do in the summer?