1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Formulas for making small amounts of liquid ice melters for walks and steps?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Gus64, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Gus64

Gus64 Junior Member

I have searched here for formulas to make small amounts of liquid ice melt and have seen several variations. Are there definitive formulas out there? I am looking to mix bagged products (Magnesium Chloride flakes/discs and CACL pellets, maybe some bagged rock salt, not all together, of couse) into a three-gallon backpack sprayer and experiment on various steps and walks here on my campus. I once tried mixing the mag flakes at a ratio of 12.5 pounds of Mag to 2 gallons of water: Does that make any sense?

I would use this to pre-treat high-traffic areas where students pack down the snow making it extremely difficult to remove...

Any info is appreciated! Great site here with lots of good info!

2. BigBoyPlowin

BigBoyPlowin Senior Member

I've heard straight rocksalt/dragon melt works pretty will at 4pounds per gallon...
    I've done it.. it works. But it has to be mixed thoroughly
  3. andrewlawnrangr

andrewlawnrangr Senior Member

4. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

5. Gus64

Gus64 Junior Member

Thanks for all this info, I do appreciate it!