1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

formula

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Erik1981, Aug 16, 2014.

1. Erik1981

Erik1981 Member
    from MN

Do any of you have a generic formula you use to figure out how much time it will take you to do a certain amount of square footage? This would be mostly for driveways and small lots or roadways.
    We have snow blown in the past and price driveways based on how many cars fit in it. I think I will do the same for plowing driveways but there will be no detail work (plowing only, no shoveling) so it will be a little cheaper than what we charge for blowing.

2. BossPlowMaster

BossPlowMaster Senior Member

formula is calculated by the amount of money you want to make after expenses.

3. Erik1981

Erik1981 Member
    from MN

NO KIDDING...I know what I want to make... I did not ask a thing about money... I asked how to calculate time...

4. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

It's just a gut feeling. I look at a drive, and say to myself "$30" or whatever I think it's worth. And I arrive at that by a rough educated guess at the time involved.
    My drives are random in size from 40' long and 10' wide to 300' x 12'...on average, a simple private drive is about 12 minutes from arrival to leaving for the next job.

5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Your 1st mistake is "cheaper" then snow blowing.Why are you lowering your price? I look at a property and say xxx for the season.

6. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

No formula, just experience!

7. Erik1981

Erik1981 Member
    from MN

Reason, I would go less dollars than allowing is because our blowing service includes shoveling everything clean infringement of garage doors and front doors. Plowing service will be driveway only with no shoveling, do you think I can get the same money?

8. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

If they are new customers,the old ones will be a little harder to sell plowing only for more money.

9. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Depends on how much you're charging whether you can get the same price.
    I wouldn't have a sq footage price. If it's 20 feet wide you'll be there the same amount of time whether it 45, 50 or 55 feet long.

10. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

It really is a gut feeling thing for driveways. You could have 2 that are the same size but one will take 2x as long.