1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Formula for pricing drives or sidewalk by SQ FT

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by MICHPLOWER, Aug 20, 2010.

1. MICHPLOWER

MICHPLOWER Member

Does anybody have a formula they used to get price for by Sq Ft for driveways or sidewalks.
    Would appreciate any input

2. Theshoemaker

Theshoemaker Senior Member

Most don't price that way, it's more or less directly reflected off your hourly rate. And if you are looking for that number, nobody is going to be able to accurately answer that for you. YOU need to figure out how much an hour your operation costs and add your expenses and profit margin in to figure it out.

3. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Well said, there's no such thing as magic numbers in the snow business.

4. viper881

viper881 Senior Member

Where in Michigan you located?

5. MICHPLOWER

MICHPLOWER Member

Thanks everybody for the help

Grand Rapids

6. SteveR

SteveR Senior Member

I wish someone would tell my customers that..I have 2 that I have been plowing for years that now want a sq ft price..Broken down 0-3in and so on. Oh well I guess my calculator will work as well as theirs.

7. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

it's all primarily based on what you can handle within an hour of your time. you need to know your capabilities.

8. viper881

viper881 Senior Member

Between $.18-.30 linear ft for a standard walk. But you also need a min. price for doing. And also are you doing it by or quad. So many variables. Measure it out and then divide what you want to get for it. Usually on resi. you dont have to bother with measuring it out. You should know how long it takes you and then just figure time

9. MICHPLOWER

MICHPLOWER Member

A formula that I came up with for Residential let me know what you guys think.

Total sqft x .10 = y divide 2 = per visit price

Total sqft x .10 = y divide 2 = z x 10 = seasonal pricing

I came up with this just messing around with numbers let me know what you guys think good ideal or bad ideal.

thanks

10. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

We keep our pricing for residential to four prices

Small (minimum charge)

Average

Large

Very large (corner lot double garage size)

Last edited: Aug 23, 2010
  11. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

to be honest i dont have a formula, i get out of the truck, stare at the driveway for 35-40 seconds and say this looks like 50 bucks. again this works everytime 50% of the time. if they say no i get back in my truck and drive away.

12. MICHPLOWER

MICHPLOWER Member

Thanks every body for the replys

13. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

being that you're from michigan, you don't expect more than 10 trips in a year?

14. viper881

viper881 Senior Member

I go with between 20-30 events depending were you are in gr and what the snow trigger is