1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Formed edges

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by 76CHEVY, Dec 3, 2012.

1. 76CHEVY

76CHEVY Member

Has anyone tried to use a poly cutting edge with the formed cutting edges. Any help would be great.

2. greyst1

greyst1 Member
    from 44720

Subscribed, i've been looking for them but can't find anyone who will make them. Maybe B&B will chime in.

3. greyst1

greyst1 Member
    from 44720

Somebody chime in here, B&B, you there?

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The problem is you lose most of the advantage formed edges have, the fact that they seal up the center area.

5. Deckscapes

Deckscapes Senior Member

I installed poly edges on our 8'2" VXT late last season and absolutely LOVE them!
    No longer do I catch an edge on manhole lids or any protrusions, they reduce wear & tear on the plow and truck, and they are quiet.

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Actually not. I have not tried this with the vees but I ran polys on my revo last winter and it worked rather well. If you cut them the trick is overlapping the end of the polys. Take them about an inch past center so there is pressure against the joint. Get them too tight and they inhibit the spring returns.

We had equally good luck with one piece polys and just wrapping the joints. I'd install it with the blade in the vee position.

I only have a winter (very light) and some mulch bin experience with this but it seems to be working decently. Buy un-drilled blanks and drill your own holes. Wood bits work best.

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Tried it on a couple different units a couple different ways and eventually they'd just tear the inner ends out due to lack of support. Happened sooner on those run in the vee position more.

8. greyst1

greyst1 Member
    from 44720

Can someone post some pics? I would assume straight stock with 45's cut to allow for the V

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Yeah the vee puts a lot more stress on it than the forward closing Rs. As I said though we found if you assembled two pieces with the connecting point under pressure at the hinge they work pretty well, helps a lot if you run poly skids.

The formed blade is better but you can get the poly to work if you need to have it.

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Poly + shoes equals crap scraping ability. Even with DP. For gravel or personal (light) use it's not a bad combo but otherwise not a good means to "saving" the edges.

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Agreed; however for best results polys should only be used on pre treated areas, they don't scrape worth a damn skid or no skids. DP doesn't do much for scraping if you run skids.