1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

formed edges....ouch!

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by bossplowguy, Jan 15, 2011.

1. bossplowguy

bossplowguy Senior Member

Well after pricing formed edges, i decided to go with the old school ones. I did a little fab work and made my own center catcher. After that i welded my old formed edges to the straight ones. The welds seemed to hold and they welded fine. So now I have a 1" cutting edge, we've put over 1,500 miles on the plow just this year so I hope the edges last a lil longer. I will get some pics up after the trial run

2. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Got any pics?

3. lesedwards

lesedwards Member

Snow Catcher ( I have major spill over in the center )

I was out last night and I am loosing major snow through the center of my 8' 2" V Plow. a year ago I looked at new cutting edges with the curb bumpers and preformed center but I was not paying $500.00 for them so I had a guy fabricate me curb bumbers which work great then we cut heavy belting and filled in the center but it does not work. If any one can send me some large photos of the center I am going to have my fabricater try and make me somethig up.

4. bossplowguy

bossplowguy Senior Member

I will get some pics up as soon as I see my truck again, my main guy takes it home with him. Basically what i did was put the new edges on and put it in scoop, then cut a half inch out of each side where they come together in the middle. I then sheared 2 pieces of half inch flat iron (you gotta make sure the ends of the flat iron meet in the center of the hinge pin). Then i just welded them on fromt and back. I think it should work pretty good. We plowed a lot that wasnt plowed and had little to no leakage out the center, sure beats 175 bucks a side!!

5. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

For what it's worth I just saw $160 or so each from PPW[Professional Parts Warehouse] for your 8-2. My 9-2 ers are $176.

6. mricefish

mricefish Member

my edges are getting down there now this year too and I was giong to try to add a peice in like you talked about last time but never got around to it. Have tryed the belting worked ok for a while then wore out. My local shop if i (remember right) wanted about 475 for the new ones 250 for the old style (no center puck) I would be intrested in some of your pics too when you get a chance on your mod to the old ones. how thick of metal did you say you used?

7. qualitycut

qualitycut PlowSite Fanatic

I have gotten almost 4 years out of my formed ones they are spendy but they seem to last a lot longer.

8. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

you must run plow shoes or don't plow much!

9. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

my formed edges have close to 150 hours of plowing and show almost NO wear

10. Dodgetruckman731

Dodgetruckman731 Senior Member

Had to replace my formed ones after 2 seasons but they do seem to wear a little slower than others, nice that they have built in curb guards, and you can usually find them alot cheaper online than your local dealer. BTW is that a typo on the one inch cutting edge :dizzy:? Thats gotta add some extra weight and stress.

Chris

11. qualitycut

qualitycut PlowSite Fanatic

I keep it a half inch of the ground so I can get called back for salt. jk

They should have been changed this year but I have been holding out as I plan on buying a new plow next year.

12. needmoresnow

needmoresnow Member

Wow I probably on have 50 or 60 hours if that and mine is really worn down quite a bit ! 9'2" vxt

13. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Been around multiple 9' 2" VX-Ts. Wear rate depends on pavement type by rate of speed plowing.

The faster you go, the more that comes off, and you can smell the friction too.

14. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Smells like victory.
    [​IMG]