1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Forgot to Send Billings

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by NBI Lawn, Jan 4, 2008.

1. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I have this on lawnsite too but what would you do?

I was going through some of my last billings and found some I forgot to send from October/November :sleeping:. Do I just send them or should I put something in with the bill apologizing for being so late?

What would you say if you put something in with them :confused:? I am leaning towards that because I feel like a bum for being late.

Please dont give me grief about it, I know we have all done it at some point

MOWBIZZ Senior Member

Sure send a note that they got misplaced and apologize for the lateness...customers were provided a service and should expect to pay.
  3. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

Just make a note blaming it on a computer error or something, I would at least give some sort of an explanation of why it was so late!
  4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Sure, put a note with the bill explaining what happened. Same thing just happened with my bank. They didn't deduct debit charges from my (and everyone else's) account made last July. They sent us a notice explaining what happened and that our accounts would be charged for the amount due on a day in January. In this case, they included a coupon for so much percentage off our next loan or a certain amount toward an IRA. You might think about something like that - maybe a credit towards a future service.
  5. GL&M

GL&M Senior Member
    from PA

I have done that on the lawn side of the business. Just send a note that you forgot o bill the for those months. They already know that they haven't been billed.
  6. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Poor business on my part, but I do it all the time. I procrastinate. I REALLY need to change that, though.:rolleyes:
  7. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

I forget sometimes to pay bills, I never forget to send bills.
  8. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

It's the Post Office fault!:D
  9. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

Here's what I do....

It doesn't happen that often, so it works out.

I call the people. I explain to them that I've had "X" number of invoices that are still outstanding, from customers that are usually very exact on certain days that they pay.

I then tell the customer that after talking with these people, it seems I've had some invoices get lost in the mail, or for whatever reason they didn't get to the customer.

I then tell them that they also have an outstanding invoice from "x" month and that I will be sending a copy of the invoice with a note attached, so they, or the accounting department knows the invoice is for.

I then apologize for any inconvienience (usually none on the customer part) and tell them once they get the invoice, that if they could check it against their own records. If there's any discrepancy, they are more than welcome to call me back.

I don't like sending notes right off the bat. You can tell alot by the tone of someone's voice, plus it's much much more personal.
  10. scitown

scitown Senior Member

Are these residential or comercial accounts? I would just send the bill with a note if its resi. They will probably be happy they didnt have to dish out the money before Christmas. You could always tell them the truth. Tell them you misplaced the bill and If they would like to make a few seperate payments toward the invoice you understand. People like it when you tell the truth. Old people like to be able to make payments because of thier fixed income. The late bill could screw up their banking.
  11. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

Don't lie to them.

I would say, "Due to an error on our part your invoice for October & November was mis-placed. The services listed were preformed, but you were not billed for them. We apologize for any inconvenience. At your convienence please send payment. If you have any questions, please call us at (212) 555-1212. Thank you and have a Happy New Year."

Good Luck
  12. DeereGuy

DeereGuy Senior Member

Yep, that's me. I am dealing with the same thing. Missed a sheet/small storm and already sent out the invoices yesterday for two comm. accts. :rolleyes: I definitely will be sending it along but I forgot to put the date on the sheet so I'm not sure what I will do. The lots were serviced and all the other info... time, amts, salt etc are there. It was a small but billable event. We've had a lot of events so it's not easy to figure out when it was. I never learn.
  13. MarksTLC

MarksTLC Senior Member

There you go....
    In the spirit of Christmas and the Holiday season, you delayed billing until January 2008. :drinkup:
  14. dforbes

dforbes Senior Member

I agree tell the truth,no need to make up a story, I did this one time last year, now I have a customer who if he doesn't have his bill by the 10th he calls me to make sure I didn't mess up. Keeps me on my toes.
  15. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

That's great!

"Please send me a bill so I can pay you."
  16. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

I agree with most everyone here, adding only that it's probably best to limit what you say to something simple like, "Due to an error on our part...." because I avoid anything that sounds like incompetence or excuses. It's nice to see that others have missed an invoice or two. It tends to be the one-time customers or the ones serviced infrequently (and for me it's more often landscaping than snowplowing). Good luck!