1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Forgive my ignorance on this question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by grandview, Feb 4, 2013.

1. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Talk to me. I see guys saying that they get x amount per hour for a truck,Got that. Now when I see guys saying they get x amount for a truck with a salter/sander in it.Why? If your plowing what does that salter have to do with plowing? If your plowing your not salting,and if your going to salt after your done then you charge for salting .If I throw a couple of bags of salt in the back of my truck do I charge extra?:confused:
  2. Drakeslayer

Drakeslayer 2000 Club Member
    from Carver

I am guessing they get a little bit higher rate that is flat whether they are plowing or salting. I am also guessing they do not have to provide their own salt.
  3. cda817

cda817 Senior Member

Maybe they are plowing city roads? Spreader on while plowing the lane like the muni guys do? Other than that it makes no sense.
  4. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

The two lots I sub for pay me the same whether I plow with a sander in or not, just as they pay me the same for putting their own salt down with my sander and not plow at the same time. Same Same Same

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

I have always wondered this also.. If I put a salter in my truck Im also plowing alot slower.
  6. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

I plow for the state. The first year I didnt have a sander. They would only call me out at 6 inches Only went out a few times that year. Next year I installed a sander. Now they call me out almost every storm. Sometimes I never drop the plow. They only pay $7.00 an hour for the sander but I get alot more hours. Some times I never drop the plow. :p
  7. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

perhaps they are trying to make up for the extra gas it costs hauling around half a ton or more of weight while plowing?
  8. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

My brother in law subs with his own truck and his own salter he get more because he can fully service the commercial lots plow then salt
  9. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

Its makes for good ballast. Plus now that I have it. I have a few lots that I salt for other people.payup Plus a few gas stations.payup Its nice to be able to spit a little out if you get into a slippery area. Makes plowing driveways with hills much easier. Its got me out of trouble more than once.
  10. birddseedd

iv actually been going without 4x4 lately. and thus needed to add some ballast. even with 4x4 ill never go without ballast again. makes a huge difference
  11. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

I personally pay my subs $5 more an hour if there truck is equipped with a spreader. This is added assurance to me that I have a back up salt truck as needed. Some lots they are required to salt, but sometimes they just plow. Same pay.
  12. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

I think there is a big difference between residential and commercial sub rates
    You could use a push salter on houses and you need a $3000-$5000+ salter for real commercial work
    So $5 an hour would not cut that by me
  13. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I get the same weather I'm plowing or salting. I'm never doing both at the same time. I get paid to clear the lot(s) then get paid to salt. I sure wouldn't mind getting paid the extra $20-40/hr over normal sub rate some guys seem to get with a spreader but if done right the spreader can keep a person busy and get them more hours then if they just plowed. I bet I get called out 4-5x more often now that I have a spreader then I did when I had just a plow.
  14. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

If I say I get X per hr for a truck it means that truck generates X per hour over the course of a night including plowing, salting some lots, and shoveling some sidewalks. I do t get any more or less for a truck equipped with a salter to plow snow from your lot. All plowing is bid the same regardless of the truck I use or whether I do it or sub it out. IF I had a sub capable of salting I would have the salting as a separate line item. Example; You are paid $75/hr to plow from the time you drop your blade on the first lot til you stop plowing the last lot. You have 2 lots that require salting when your done plowing. I pay you $X dollars extra each time they're salted even though you're still getting paid the sub rate while you're salting, the fixed price would be more fair because it doesn't take more than 5 minutes to run around and throw salt down on an acre lot. Just a thought.
  15. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

That is where you are wrong some lots take 30 minutes to salt
    I have a lot where there are two skids and one truck with a salter to do
    It's great having machines but they can't salt so the truck can plow and salt and go salt near by lots as well
  16. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

I don't get your argument. Are you saying you should get the same amt of money for plowing and salting? Just basically staying on the clock? Great, come work for me. I'll give you all my zero tolerance accounts and keep you busy as long as there is snow in the air. I know there are lots that take 30 minutes to salt, and they're alot bigger than 1 acre. I don't care how cut up the lot is there isn't a lot out there that takes over 15 minutes/acre to salt. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say you have that ONE lot that takes 1/2 hour to salt 1 acre. If I'm paying you $75/hr to plow, would you be happy with another $37.50 to salt the lot when you're done. Now you have to carry around either a pallet of bagged salt, load the hopper, and spread, or you have to buy a Vbox and carry around a couple yards of salt in your truck while you plow for me. I have a lot that is 1.5 acres. I get $140 to plow and $165 to salt. It takes less than 1.5hrs to plow and salt. I can do it in 1hr but I'll say 1.5 for this example. If my sub is making $85/hr to plow would I expect him to be happy with $127.50, basically an extra 1/2 hr of work while I'm netting as much or more than that after the cost of salt? If you guys are happy with that then so am I. Personally, I don't think salting by the hour is worth it. There is way to much margin in salting for the amount of time it actually takes for a sub who is paid by the hour to make a fair wage when compared to the general (me.) You have the cost of the salter and the subsequent damage caused from operating the salter. Why should I make more than you when all I'm doing is telling you to go ahead and salt the lot when you're done.

Edit: I guess it "could" be worked out where the extra hourly wage was enough to balance out, but it would have to be significant. I was looking at it from the view that guys are salting after they plow for a few extra minutes on the clock.
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  17. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I have a used salter you can have for $1000. It doesn't work but it'll pay for itself in only 200hrs @$5/hr.:confused:
  18. birddseedd

if it doesnt work. how will it pay for itself?
  19. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

You may have missed the point of the OPGV.:rolleyes:
  20. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

He gets paid from door to door service he uses their salt they load his v box it works for him I guess these are bid commercial lots that take more than one v box is salt