1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Forget that summer vacation

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by twodan, Aug 15, 2005.

1. twodan

twodan Member

I've been reading this forum for quite some time now, trying to decide if I should trade my 99 SLT extended cab, 1500, 4x4 for an 05, 2500HD and do my own plowing of our lots at work. i decided to purchase an 05, LE with cloth seats and manual seats because of the prices of the LT, and because it also came with a blose radio/stereo.
    The change from electrically adjustable seats to the chosen factory presets was difficult, and I'm not sure of the comfort level.
    Today, the 1st day of my vacation, my wife & I decide to take my 83 year old mother to lunch; no problem. I drop them off at the door and seek out someplace to park my 4 month old beauty. Now, remember, I have not dropped the plow, except to set it in the garage until it's needed. I've read about the need of a back up truck, etc. with regrets every time I hear of mechanical failures while plowing. But, I never considered the need of a back up until today when my prize was side swiped from the front mirror back to the bed. So, now am I sure my choice was the correct one? No. Will I live through the bodyshop's work? Not sure. Will I look with kids' eyes to the 1st snow storm? You bet! Damn, the plan was to save some money, and ride in a new truck. That will happen, but my, please close your eyes, virgin has been tarnished....:( So, plan as one might, don't forget the slime bag who puts you out of service, and be thankful as I am, this did not happen with 6" of snow on the ground. Being a newbie, I'm determined to learn to learn to plow, as I was determined to learn my "real job".
  2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Bummer about the damage!

My Bro-inlaw bought a new loaded F-350 V10 crew cab 4 $ 4. A 12 point buck stepped out in front of him a week later destroyed the grill, hood, fender and the rack gouged the whole pass side from one end to the other. His old 2 y/o truck he sold to his brother got T-bone 2 days later! They sat side by side in the body shop.

Your truck being brand new in theory it should not have any mechanical problems for a while yet. Might think about finding someone you know with a plow just for a "what if" back up, stuff does happen.
    There are books on snow plowing out, someone could point you in the right direction for them. I do believe the owner of this site wrote one too.