1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Forecast says 1'-3' wet, are you plowing?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by RonWin, Dec 7, 2011.

1. RonWin

RonWin Senior Member

I live in NY and the forecast says that tonight/tmrw morn. there will be a 1'-3' wet chance of snow. It hasn't snow muched thus far and the average temperatures for the week are 40 degrees. This meaning that the snow will probably melt after thursday morning snow storm. I want to make some money but do not want to step on any toes; Should I being plowing if indeed i get over 2' wet. The trigger for me is 2' wet + but I guess I kinda feeling guilty about doing it if I know the snows gonna melt regardless. What do you guys think? ( im not in any written contracts just verbal agreement to plow at 2' wet or more).

2. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

I think you mean 1-2"? If not you better get out there and plow 1'-2'..... I would plow all my lots after 2 inches weather its gonna melt or not. Most people want there lots cleared before they come into work.

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Depending on when it snows,you might not even get any on the lots/drives. Then been pushing snow all week for Fri but we'll see.

4. RonWin

RonWin Senior Member

just wondered if plowing people out at 2' wet, which is the trigger they wanted, will get them mad if the warm weather is going to sweep thru and melt all the labor anyway. I do want to make money but like i said I dont want to step on toes.

5. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

You do realize you are using the wrong punctuation mark to distinguish between inches and feet correct?

Or are you saying your trigger is 2 feet of snow?

6. 7_below

7_below Senior Member

Oh boy.....

7. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

First things first, You should have a contract. Also You should have a Seasonal Rate. NOT a per push basis!

If you go per push you will either get screwed or Lucky. By screwed i mean what if it snows 5 times???
    By Lucky I mean, If it snows 30 times you COULD GET $XXXXX... Dollars! But if that happens good luck getting paid! Dont get me wrong! Some will pay, just not many!

2nd thing is: Its all up to the Owners discretion of the company/ yours.
    Personally if its a inch of slush and a Inch of snow.... its really 50-50. Now if its 3" We're out FOR SURE.

It really depends... Commercial I salt! No matter how much and What it is.
    Driveways are where it gets tricky!

8. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

7_below, I believe your post was one too early.

I believe Foster's comment is part of what got a different thread closed.

Foster, do you always go to McDonalds? Wendy's? BK? Pick one, never use another?

9. RonWin

RonWin Senior Member

Thanks for the info plow man foster. Definately somthing i need to modify with my clients.

10. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I have some contacts doesnt matter if there a inch snow they want something done fix the problem
    I only charge per snow fall event never had a problem getting paid Here if I charge before the snow has fallen I be out buisness
    I know every area is different Good luck

11. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

You may or may not find customers receptive to seasonal billing. It is very regional.

I am not saying don't try it, just don't be surprised if your customers don't want it.

12. Plow man Foster

haha They're not Receptive to it! Most actually hate it. I guess you're right every region is different. But over here ALOT of people (residential drives) just sign the contract that says for $XXX you will have your driveway plowed an unlimited amount of times for the 3-4month period.
    Im michigan we can JUST about estimate the amount of times that we will push i can prive my residential drives accordingly. And if they have a problem with it i either show them my little sheet that clearly Shows them how much they COULD possibly pay While on a "per push" basis. Vs. my "Winter Season Rate"

That USED to work pretty well until the Market crashed... now they go find a lowballer who will charge $75 to plow an unlimited amounts of times for the whole 3-4 (or more) month period.

13. H&HPropertyMait

H&HPropertyMait Senior Member

You realize that a seasonal is just as risky. they pay an agreed price. we'll say based on 25 pushes. you hope it snows 0 times and count your profits, customer hopes in snows 50 times and we eat it.

14. H&HPropertyMait

Learn 1"-2" INCHES not 1'-2' FEET

if its 2" of anything i'm out plowing

15. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Me personally, I would be out if it was snowing enough to drop 2-3". At this point the ground is still probably going to melt off about an inch. A lot depends on how fast it comes down too. I probably wouldn't plow any residential accounts. A nice 2-3" storm would be a nice training day for my guys.

16. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I work by myself.So seasonal are good for me,if you have to pay other guys to plow then you need a mix to offset to much snow. But most of your costs are fixed. Only big variable is fuel cost.

17. H&HPropertyMait

Ok now that makes sense. All of our driveways are seasonal and a few large commercials are, the smaller commercial ones are per push and are zero tolerance, so i can make a pretty penny if it snows all day long.

18. Plow man Foster

Good point. i've never really had a problem with not having enough money after the season. I guess thats why i dont focus all of my money on residentials. Especially in this day and age.

19. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Mr. Win, your first problem is you don't have a written contract....only verbal. :nono:

For the sake of argument let's assume the verbal agreement with your client is good, and he intends on holding up his end of the bargain...

Are you planning on holding up to your end of the bargain plowing the site at 2", or are you just going to stand by and hope it melts?

20. H&HPropertyMait

It's never been a problem for us either... knock on wood right!