1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ford's still the best

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Sweetpete, Mar 3, 2007.

1. Sweetpete

Sweetpete Senior Member

Well, say what you will, but Ford is still the only manufacturer who offers the plow prep package on their diesel engines.

Dodge/CTD and GM/D-max doesn't. If you put a plow on the truck, it can void the warranty. What gives?

I know the weight of the diesel is a big increase, but c'mon? The geniuses at GM and Daimler can't figure out a way to beef up the front end a little to accomodate the extra weight?

Forget it. Ford is awesome. Everytime I look at my truck, I remember why I went with a Ford over the other guys. That's just me. No flaming intended.
  2. Turf Masters

Turf Masters Member

I have 2 gmc D-max with factory snow plow prep package.
  3. Sweetpete

Sweetpete Senior Member

Really? What years? Local GM dealer said it wass no longer available on the 2500HD w/D-max engine.
  4. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

Seeing as how Ford does not have a diesel to put in the truck at the moment, I am not sure. :)
  5. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

I just went to chevy.com and built a fully loaded up 2500hd silverado duramax allison combo and it has a plow prep option. Not flaming, just stating facts
  6. carcrz

carcrz Senior Member

That's why Dodge comes standard as a HD. No package is necessary.
  7. Snowbrdr360

Snowbrdr360 Senior Member

My new 2006 2500HD Duramax has the plow prep package
  8. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

On a GM you can't get the plow prep with the crew cab/Dmax combo. Otherwise you can get it on any combo you want.
  9. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

The City of Woodstock own a bunch of new dmax 2500hds, all either reg cab long bed, or ext cab short bed. They all have 8ft westerns on them.
  10. Sweetpete

Sweetpete Senior Member

Uh oh!! That might be why. I wasn't even looking at the ext cab ( I have 2 daughters now and am DONE with ext. cab) So maybe, that must be why.

I was optioning the CREW CAB and LONG BED. Which, doesn't matter, because Ford is still the only one who offers the plow prep on their CC LB Diesels.

But, I guess I just wish GM and Dodge would do the same. I'd like to have some options, but oh well!! Thanks for the clarifications though. I shouldn't have made a blanket statement.
  11. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

if ford offers the plow prep on the crew cab diesel long bed good luck finding someone that will install the plow on it. not really a good choice for a plow truck anyway IMO.
  12. Sweetpete

Sweetpete Senior Member

Not one dealer in C-town has a problem installing a plow on a CC / LB diesel. As long as it has the snow plow prep pack, they don't care if it's the Oscar Meyer mobile.

As for my choice of using it to push snow, I have to keep in mind that it's also my daily driver and my business truck. Pushing snow is only a Part-time affair here.

My main business is interior construction, so the long bed will be handy in that regard. I can see where it may be a PITA for tight areas, but I've already driven one and it maneuvers pretty good.

Thanks for the input.
  13. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

2 new 2006 dodge 2500's with diesel and plow prep... dont know where you get this info from...
  14. Jay brown

sorry didn't know that. in 1997 whenever i bought my 97 f350 cc lb i couldn't get a plow for it. but it didn't have a plow prep. my bad..... i think the plow co was right and i'm glad i never put one on it.
  15. Sweetpete

Sweetpete Senior Member

Crew cab long beds? Probably not. Quad cab doesn't count. BTW, every dealer I've been to has personally told me the warranty is voided if you plow with the CTD.

Also, I tried building one online and couldn't. The prompt kept replacing the CTD with the HEMI.

Believe me, I wish I was wrong. Megacab can't even be spec'd with the CTD and plow package. So, it's like, why buy a $40k truck to plow with if the warranty is going to be voided. Totally sucks.
  16. Jay brown

probably overlaods the trucks gvw on the front axle