1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fords Powerstroke

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Shaw, Jul 16, 2010.

1. Shaw

Shaw Member

Hey guys. In the next few months I will be in the market for a new truck and I had alot of gas powered vehicle and I think it's time for a turbo diesel. I heard alot of stories about the powerstroke, but I don't know which one out of the three is the better one (6.0,6.4,or 7.3) and as well between 02-07. I just want to know what I m getting myself into.
    Thanks

2. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Given the choice, I'd go with an 03 7.3 regular cab XLT.

3. bean7654

bean7654 Member

That's exactly what i'm trying to find!

4. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

7.3 is a very good motor

5. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

I'd get the 6.7! That's a good engine!

6. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Reading isn't one of your best ability's is it? The 6.7 wasn't one of his options, it's not even available in the year range he's looking at. And it's so new how do we know if it's a good engine? The 6.0 seemed great at first, look how that one worked out.

7. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

I have an 04 6.0. Its been good to me. I would buy another.

8. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

6.0 engines are like women. there are good ones, but then again, there are a lot of bad ones.
    if you can find a good 6.0, go for it. otherwise i would stick with the 7.3.

9. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Excellent way of putting it :laughing:

10. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

latest possible 7.3 which should be an early '03 model. Too many variables in the 6.0. I've heard alot of stories. If you do some looking you'll find the '01-'02 7.3 trucks are pulling more than the '04 and some '05 6.0 trucks. Bottom line, nobody wants the 6.0 and the price is reflected because of that. I'd sure hate to be looking for a truck right now though, pricing is outrageous in the used truck market.

11. jbell36

jbell36 Senior Member
    from Kansas

to reiterate what has already been said, the 7.3 is apparently the best powerstroke and '03 was the last year it was made...the 6.0 came out after that from '03 to '07 and has had the most problems, easily the worst powerstroke but still not a horrible engine...then the 6.4 came out ('08-'10) and is a good engine but not the best MPG, i know because i own one...i'm very happy with my 6.4, in '08 they pretty much did away with the waiting period for the glow plugs to warm up and the engine itself is very quite, and there is no need to plug it in in the winter anymore, not even a plug for it...and obviously in '11 they came out with the 6.7 which ford designed, not international anymore...it has yet to prove itself but has had some great reviews so far and it is even quiter than the previous 6.4, not sure if that's a good or bad thing depending on who you talk to

to be honest it's a very hard choice it's not like if you buy a 6.0 then you're going to be sol...if i remember correctly the 6.0's had injector problems...an '03 7.3 would be ideal but they are difficult to find

12. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Go with the 6.4 if u like getting 10 mpg. or go with the 6.0 if u like replacing head gaskets egr valves and egr coolers.

13. firedawg

firedawg Member
    from S.E. CT

if i can put my cents worth in! i have the problem child 6.0 (2003 f250) and with doing research after i bought it, and getting a trained powerstroke mechainic i have no problems with my purchase! the injector problem is fixed by putting the additive in every fill-up. the fuel kills the injectors. and if u fallow international at all this motor is there best and goes 300,000 miles avg its fords computers killing the motors. but if u take care of ur motors and become drinking buddies with the mechanic he can tell u whats wrong very easy. they early 6.0 had the head problem but most of them have been fix, but if not its an fix that will last a life time ! ive heard some rumors if taking the internation heads of the commercial motors and putting them on with bigger valves just a rumor so far! ive heard the good and the bad about every motor fords had so its what you want. good luck in your serach ! check this web site out powerstrokehelp.com its a good reserach tool!

14. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

Actually I'm farily good at it. If you noticed I said "I'd get the 6.7" not "you should get the 6.7" so realy it wasn't helpful information just what I would do if I was in the position that he was in.

15. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

My '99 F350 has 231K on the clock and still runs brand new. Can't say enough about this motor. It is night and day compared to the 6.0 I had in my '05, but I do agree with everyone else, there are good 6.0s and bad ones as well.

16. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah and the problem is if you buy the 6.0 off someone you don't know it could be one of the bad ones.

17. My '02 7.3 has been an excellent engine, in my F350 DRW. But, I haven't passed 100k yet. Bu, I sold my jeep. and now I only own one vehicle, so, instead of buying another Jeep, or a Ranger, I'll probabaly just try and get 20-22 MPG out of the 7.3, and get 500 HP, along with 800 foot-pounds.:drinkup:

18. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

Just thought i would chime in on a few things. For the original poster the best bet would a late (02 or 03) 7.3 or a late 6.0. By early 06 they had most all the problems ironed out.
    The 6.4 is a great motor, stock the millage is not very good, but after a few mods they get prettty good, my 09 CC lb is getting 18mpg mixed driving.
    And OZZ get ready to blow some money for a 500hp daily driver 7.3. New connecting rods, head studs, injectors, twin hpops, turbo.... it goes on and on.
    Robert

19. EcoPlow

EcoPlow Junior Member

I've got 6 7.3's on my fleet. Have nothing but good things to say. (1)1995 (3)1996 (1)1999 (1)2003

20. ff610

ff610 Senior Member

I have 4 trucks with the 6.0 in them. 2 are 2004's, and 2 are 2005's. I have to knock on wood I've been extremely fortunate. My 04's have had no problems, my 05 f-550, had what appeared to be gauge problems so I took it in while it's my only one left under warranty. A new computer, turbo, head gaskets, head bolts, erg, and I'm sure I'm forgetting something.... week later the truck was returned 5-6k out of Ford's pocket. This has me real nervous about my other trucks it they do break down! But like I said, they've all been great runners for me. My buddy who is a service manager at my local Ford dealer told me NO MATTER what, don't put any aftermarket filters on them, and especially the oil filter. He said that leads to more problems then anything else. He even gave me filters to make sure of this! ( I was hoping he's tell me only to use a special blend of fuel that he'd offer to give me too but that didn't happen!) LOL