1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ford's New Diesel

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by bike5200, Oct 8, 2009.

1. bike5200

bike5200 Senior Member
    from Ky

Ford's new diesel anyone heard anything. The trucks have two fuel tanks on them, one for diesel and one for a additive. They have run a few down the line at the plant. Seems like something else to go wrong. On the Expedition and/or Excursion there is no fuel cap, when you close the door on the fuel fill, there is a little motor that seal the filler inlet up some way. More things to go wrong.

2. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

the other tank is for the urea,

3. HD61CUIN

HD61CUIN Senior Member

The other tank is where you put your spare change for when it breaks down.

4. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

The other tank is for urea. It's an emissions thing that is there to meet the rediculous emission laws put on diesel trucks. You need to fill it about every oil change and it will cost about $20 to top it off. It's ther in place of a more restrictive dpf. The new ford diesel looks like a greaalt engine and they been testing this thing for about 3 years. I for one am pretty excited to see how it does. I bet it will be a great engine. It incorporates some really cool technology and designs. There is info on fords website and the truck will be released late spring next year.

They don't make an excursion anymore and I have no clue what you are talking about with the expedition. Maybe you saw a hydrogen powered prototype or something?

5. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

It's a 6.7 liter twin turbo, 700 lbs torque, suppose to be highest HP of all diesels on market. If anyone is interested I can post a link to the new engine.

Regards

6. stroker79

It's is not a twin turbo. It's a single valley mounted turbo with reverse flow aluminum heads. The turbo is a variable vane and the compressor wheel is is double sided. It's sort of like a twin turbo but nothing like it at the same time. It's is a single turbo though.

7. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

so the new diesels will not have dpf filters? and therefore no regenerations? i thought the urea was in addition to the regen/dpf system.

8. stroker79

It is in addition but from what I understood the dpf will be less restrictive becaue the urea will be doing slot of the cleaning.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

Last edited: Oct 13, 2009
  10. stroker79

They also have a ton of info in fords site as well as a whole video library hosted by mike rowe

11. jkiser96

jkiser96 Senior Member

I have spoken with several Ford diesel techs & service managers & they hav esaid that the big downfall right now is that the engine is not producing hardly any heat. They have also said that engine design is going to be easier to work on & no more pulling the cab & dog house to work on them.

12. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

They could have had the highest torque with the 6.0 if they hadn't screwed it up.

13. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

I looked at a new truck yesterday as my lease on mine was up 2 weeks ago, they are supplying front rad covers with all the 2009/10 models. I was wondering why it was....ya know I'm more inclined to keep mine, all the bugs have been fixed, no issues other than a fuel pump.

If it's not broke, don't fix it !