1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ford's 4.9L "Big Six" for plowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by AB Lawn Care, Nov 17, 2000.

1. AB Lawn Care

AB Lawn Care Member

I was reading the thread in the ford forum.And was interested in the fact that the 4.9L has more torque that the 302.Does anyone know if that engine is strong enough to plow snow????Has anyone used that engine for plowing?????

2. DaveO

DaveO PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Ma.

300ci six

That's what my Ford has. Also has the granny gear 4spd. Pushes snow excellent, decent on gas. Has a ton of torque down low. It's NO race truck , but it sure pushes snow, tows weight real well.

Dave

3. PINEISLAND1

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

I've got two of them, and really love 'em. You won't gain much on gas, I get maybe two or three more mpg with the 300 over the 351, but it is something. The best part of the 300 is its longevity. They are bulletproof. Lots of pushing power for snow as well.

4. Lazer

Lazer Senior Member

All of our (gas) trucks plow in low range. Add that to the fact we do driveways and commercial and most of the commercial work is done with loaders. I'm fully convinced I'd be plenty happy plowing with a 6 cylinder.

BTW: The 300 has more torque than the 302 because of fewer cylinders. Whenever you add cylinders you need to add CI to get your torque.

5. Skookum

Skookum Member

Those Ford 6's are great for low end torque. They will pull and push like a tractor.

6. landscaper3

landscaper3 Senior Member

I agree with all the 300/6 is a better motor.