1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ford xlt package vs xl package for plowing commercial properties

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bgster, Jun 23, 2009.

1. bgster

bgster Junior Member
    from na

HI all,
    I noticed that aside from some minor cosmetic tweaks the major difference between the two trim levels is that the xlt sits higher on its suspension. From a plowing perspective, is it advantageous to have the truck sitting higher when plowing or does the lower sitting truck benefit because of it's lower center of gravity. Does anyone have any experience plowing commercial properties with a base f250 xl?
    I would appreciate any insight.
    Thanks

2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Makes no difference which trim level you plow with.

3. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Trim package doesn't effect ride hieght

4. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

The way in which an XLT rides higher is usually in relation to an upsize in tire and rim combo's.

5. bgster

bgster Junior Member
    from na

is there any benefit to the bigger tires of the xlt for plowing or are the xl tires adequate?

6. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

if they are the same tires I don't see any benefit/harm. If your looking to buy new, mind as well spend the extra 1500 or whatever it is for the XLT, just a better looking rig with power windows and locks etc, unless you are looking for the hose out interior.

7. bgster

bgster Junior Member
    from na

thanks for the help

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

There's no denying power windows are very handy. It's nice to be able to roll the pass side window down and clean the mirror without climbing across the cab. Power mirrors are very practical for plowing, also. And personally, get the best seat you can. Your seat will thank you. Ideally, get a loaded truck with leather buckets, and vinyl hose out floor.

9. plowin4u

plowin4u Member

I run a f250 xlt model, I had to install a front leveling kit for my truck because the mount for the meyers setup sits real low, there is no difference in suspension for both models, it is a trim package difference.