1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ford x code spring?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by dupont24, Nov 24, 2010.

1. dupont24

dupont24 Junior Member
    from ohio

I have 2004 f250 6.0. For warranty purposes, ford says I need 6000 lb. front spring for me to have plow on truck. Is that the x code spring? I currently have 5200 lb. front spring. Also, anyone know a good place to purchase these from, or whom might install? Live in Ohio. thanks

2. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I just switched mine over to 6k springs. Yes on the "X" code and the dealer is probably the best place to get them. I paid around 80 bucks each and about 150.00 to have them installed. I think the job pays 1.5 hours. I cant believe being a diesel, yours didn't come with 6k springs already. Honestly I didn't notice much of a difference. I would even opt for the next size up especially if you have the added weight of a diesel, mine has a 5.4L gasser. It raised up the front end about an inch or so but my 8.6 Xtreme V still hits on dips and bumps in the road when in "V" position.

3. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Wait are we talking coil springs or leaf springs. I thought 04's still ran leaf for the front. I thought you had a 06 for some reason.

4. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

04's run leaf springs, 05 and up run coils.

The X-codes are rated for 6k. They are the standard spring on the 450 and 550 trucks.

Plan on spending about $500 for new springs, u-bolts and nuts. I did mine last May. The most time consuming part was pulling the plow mount so I could get to the spring bolts.

I would recommend an adjustable track bar. I really had to wrestle my axle back into position.

Call the parts department at www.tousleyford.com They have the best prices.

5. EdNewman

EdNewman Senior Member

X is the spring code for the max GVW springs whether coil or leaf

6. ZamboniHDB

ZamboniHDB Senior Member

This subject has been beat to death.

Code X is for front leaf springs plow prep.

Code C is for front coil springs plow prep.