1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ford wiring on a chevy ?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by 00silverado, Sep 26, 2014.

1. 00silverado

00silverado Member

I have a 2000 silverado 1500 (new style) with a unimount plow I need the whole truck side harness for it. I got the light harness from some one for nothing but still need a controll harness . Some one I know has one for a Ford if I switch the light harness will it work ? And how easy is it to do ? And is it worth getting if I only pay $50 for it
  2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

From what I remember the control harness is pretty much the same for every (relay / two plug) straight blade. its' the headlight harness that is unique. Although there are two different kinds or control harnesses, depends on how old it is, there is a 9 pin and 12 pin for straight blades. You need to count the pins in the plow plug and see which one you need. I may be wrong about that there are only two but I am sure one of the old timers will pipe up and correct me if I am. We need more detail to be absolutely sure. Is it a straight blade? Two plugs? How many pins in the plug with the small pins?

So if I understand correctly you have the right headlight harness for the Silverado and you can get a control harness from a Ford right? If that is the case just verify that the control harness has the right number of pins. $50 sounds reasonable to me but I would look online and see what a new one costs, they are still available.
  3. 00silverado

00silverado Member

Yes it is a 9 pin it's a 7.6 ft straight blade unimount . A new one goes for $150 and the whole thing almost 300
  4. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

So verify that your control harness on the Ford (that was offered to you) is also a 9 pin and snag it if it is...
    Here is a link to the electrical schematics book.
    On page 53 you will find the section on 9 pins relays systems. First page (53) shows the truck side control harness. Then look a few pages further and find the schematic that shows your type of headlights ie: HB3 / HB4 etc. This will show you how the relays hook up. Some are very simple with two relays while others are more complex with as many as many as six relays.
    Note that the controller will activate the functions of the plow (on your system) without the headlight harness connected so if it's too complicated you could always just install a manual truck / plow switch yourself???
    Hope this is helpful...
  5. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

Your truck does require the 6 relay style for the headlights to work properly. That is correct that the control harness is the same for 9 pin straight blades.