1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ford Vs Gmc

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Bobby Blaze, Dec 20, 2006.

1. Bobby Blaze

Bobby Blaze Member

I'm On The Market For A New Truck Going Towards The Ford Over The Gmc I Like The Gmc's Interior Better Than The Fords Cheap Lookin Cloth,i Like The Ride Height And Brakes Better Than The Gmc.i Was Talkin To A Guy From Monroe Truck Equipt A Couple Years Ago When I Was Considering To Buy The Gm Over My 01 Dodge, He Was Telling Me I Could Turn Up The Torsion Bars On Gm To Get The Ride Height.does Anyone Know Anything About This? Any Info Would Be Appreciated.

2. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Ford all the way... you will hear this a lot seeing that this is the Ford forum. I have had one of the three major three and love Fords the best. You are buying a truck, not a caddy, so the interior shouldn't matter. If it does, go for the Lariat package. It is the most comftorable package made IMO. I love my Ford and probably will never turn back. You can crank the T Bars up on a GMC, but that can cause problems down the road. I would go with a lift before turning the T Bars up. I just think because they don't come from the factory turned up, then they shouldn't be messed with. Good luck with your decision!:waving:

3. frehawk

frehawk Junior Member

I love my Ford and even the chevy guys hang out here.:D :nod:

4. snowplow12345

snowplow12345 Member

We own ( 2 ) 2500 HD Chevy,s turned torsion bars on both. Not sure if it caused premature wear but both trucks needed new ball joints at 40,000 miles. Newest truck is 05 F250. We will see how it holds up, but the ford definetly holds the front end up better with plow raised.

5. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I can't say enough good things about our 06 F250 SD. Its still brand new with only 1768 miles as of today but I love it! Bye the way my interior is anything but cheap looking!:realmad: Its comfortable and well thought out IMO. Nothing beats a SOLID FRONT AXLE when plowing not the independent front suspension the GM line offers. Did he tell you if you crank up the torrsion bars too far you will have to get it re-aligned also. And if and when a torrsion bar snaps, then what do ya do at 4am?

6. MNRiverrat

MNRiverrat Junior Member

my 2cents....

I bought a new 05 ford f350 xlt 6.0 diesel auto in january of 2005.... Other than the stock 18" contitrac tires all was fine and dandy till 18,000 miles. Then sh*t hit the fan,so to speak. I now have nearly five pages of warranty claims, over 4 weeks of down time, 3 tows into the dealer, and $2800.00 out of my pocket in mechanical repairs..... the truck now has 58,000 miles. Ford corporate says to talk to the dealer and the dealer says I have to talk to ford corporate.... Bullsh*t!!!! I have always been a ford guy but I know I will never buy another new ford truck again. Hey, I'm in buisiness too... If you have ongoing issues you solve the problem no matter what it takes. If I didn't, I wouldn't be in buisiness anymore! It's no wonder Ford is almost banckrupt.... and watch, they'll get bailed out by our government too..... Would they do that for you or I if we made inferior products or services....

Enough.....

As far as the truck goes, I traded a 2000 truck with the same interior, same bodystyle, even the same color in on this one..... So, I must have liked the 2000!(not to mention the two blue tractors and two other fords I presently own). I think Ford builds one of the best chasis for a work truck. Upon examination, I think dodge builds a very stout work truck also.... My next truck is looking to be a dodge. They have solid axle front ends(big plus), and hey it has the cummins.

But even so..... I won't be buying another ford do to their customer service and the pride they take in their product.

Take this as it is.... I'm just stating my opinion.... They have lost my respect as a consumer and brand loyal customer....

MNRiverrat

7. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

You should have posed the question about the GM trucks in the Chevy section.

Yes you can easily turn up the torsion bars and add Timbrens.
    My good friend has the identical truck and plow as mine but in a F-250 Ford. Both are loaded up Diesels ext cab 05's with the Heavy 8' X blades. Now that I cranked the bars only 4 turns and added Timbrens (150 bucks) it sags less than or the same as his and it rides no different IMO than before doing this.

I'm not knocking Fords but I'm a die hard GM guy. The new 2500's coming out now are really nice.. I would suggest looking at the new body style 07 before pulling the trigger on a new truck.

8. MustangFox302HO

MustangFox302HO Junior Member
    from Mass

they both suck!!! i have a 89 GMC 2500 with a 350 and a turbo 400 trans they say this is the best tranny to come out of General Motors. well i have put three flywheels, a converter, a pump, first gear and started with a complete rebuild. oh and yah the flywheel is cracked again!! i ran a 9' on this truck for only two seasons and towed two mowers in the summer. I know ur buying a brand new truck or atleast something newer than this but they say that my truck was the best most beatable one and i'll tell u trans problems r the worse cause i fixed them my self and no i wasnt the problem cause my dad is a macanic and he knows what he is doing. Now i have a 97 ford f250 the brakes are the balls!! the rear end holds weight its like a truck !!! I havent plowed with it yet but being as high up as i am i bet it is much better than plowing with a car!! so i guess a ford is a better truck if thats what u want other wise if ur looking for a car that looks like a truck then buy a Chevy but atleast ur supporting America!!!!!!!!!! and thats what it is all about!!!!!!!

9. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Well, here is info from someone who has owned both. First and foremost though, all things are prone to breakdowns, etc no matter ford gm or dodge. You can go buy any truck and someone else will buy the same truck from the same dealer at the same time. His might turn out to be a piece of poop and yours may be a gem or vice versa. Granted my trucks I owned were 94 and 95 but it still holds relevance. I bought a 95 F250 4x4 xl with the 5.8 V8 and 53000 miles on it with a 7.5 meyer on it. I paid 10k for it. The truck was beautiful, not a scratch or blemish anywhere. First day of having it, the starter died. Within a week of that, the #8 fuel injector arked and caught fire. Then the ignition module died and the computer fried. That cost me 1800. Needless to say I gave that the s-can. Then I bought a 94 GMC 2500 that was identical to the ford. It had 143k on it and paid 3800 cash for it. Drove it until 200k miles on it. Sold it and got my money back on it. I worked for a landscaper during the summer and he has 02 super duty gassers. The one I drove hauled a 20 foot enclosed trailer. I stepped on the gas and I was expecting to have to get out and push. I took my boss's 04 2500 HD with the 6.0 V8 and pulled the same trailer. Guess what? It acted like it was not even there. I currently own a Chevy and that is where I will stay. Im not rippin on ford or nothing. They are big beautiful trucks with a lot of balls. Im just tellin you my exp. since I have dealt with both

10. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Contrary to Thermos's statement, we have a Chevy 2500 4x4 at our shop, we do plowing and also tow a 14ft enclosed trailer with 2 Harley's in it from time to time and it feels like a slug especially when going up slight hills. Our 06 F250 SD pulls my 8.5x16 enclosed trailer loaded full of mower's (big mower's) and all the other landscaping/lawn care stuff and it pulls it just fine. You know your towing something but it pulls without any hesitation's or lack of power what so ever. They are both going to do the job.:waving: