1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ford vs chev

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by chev4life, Jul 20, 2003.

1. chev4life

chev4life Junior Member

my friend is just a ford lover and he wants to put a 351 clevland in his dads truck and i was wondering if a stock 350 chev could take the stock 351 cleveland. and i was wondering why a 454 out of a truck has less horsepower than a 454 out a car and how i could get more hp to it? sorry if im bothering you guys with all these questions but im young and dont know much no one in my family really is a mechanic that lives near me to find this stuff out from.
  2. 75gmck25

75gmck25 Senior Member

I'm not an authority on Ford engines, but I think the 351 Cleveland was only offered in cars, and in most cases it was a relatively high output (at high rpm) 4 barrel. The 351C head design allowed for larger valves, better flow, and higher horsepower. There was also a Boss 351 and a 351 Cobrajet that generated even higher horsepower.

Ford trucks used the 351M, which has different heads than a Cleveland, and is a modified version of the 351 Windsor engine.

Most truck engines have a lower max horsepower than the same size car engine, but the truck engine hits its max horsepower and torque at a lower rpm than a car engine. This fits the needs of most people who drive trucks for real work.

The Ford 351C car engine probably does generate more hp than a stock Chevy truck 350 of the same vintage. But its an apples to oranges comparision. You could always drop an LT1 into a Chevy truck if you want to race, but it wouldn't be a good engine for day to day use where you needed low end power and torque.

3. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

The 351 Cleveland 4bbl was only available from 1969 to 1971 in selected vehicles. It was specifically designed for Ford's factory cars in the Trans Am series and a number had to be sold as street versions to be eligible. I believe the only engine Ford made with more power was the 429 Cobra Jet.

The intake ports on the 4bbl heads are big enough to put your fist in, these were made for high rpm output, the lower range suffered. Production ended at the end of '71 because they had to be detuned so to meet emissions, they weren't feasible. A 2 bbl version was also produced with lower HP ratings and a bit more street manners.

The 351M is a 400 with a 351W crank. The 400 used the 351C 2bbl heads. The result was a low compression engine that hardly made any power. The demand for the 351W was so high, Ford couldn't keep up with production and threw together this compromise engine. I believe it was last produced in '81 or '82.

A true 351C 4bbl is worth quite a bit of money today, I'd say 10 to 15 thousand bucks in good shape. I don't know Chevy horsepower ratings, but the Cleveland would give them a run for the money.
  4. vellemeister

vellemeister Junior Member

Horsepower Car vs. truck

Usually a car engine has more horsepower out of the factory because the requirement for torque is not as high and the manufacturer will use a cam more built for horsepower where it is the opposite for a truck because of the weight and possible uses like 4-wheeling and towing. The manufacturer will more likely use an RV cam which will not give as much horsepower in trade for torque.
  5. chev4life

chev4life Junior Member

so if all that is different between the car and truck motors is the torque and stuff and the rv cam as u metioned if i changed the cam would the truck motor be somewhat similar to that of a motor out of a car?
  6. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Re-read my first post.

On the 351C 2bbl, I don't think there's any difference between the car and truck, if it was even available in the truck. I think they were running big blocks in the trucks then.