1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ford V6

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Clevername, May 12, 2011.

1. Clevername

Clevername Member
    from Indiana

Okay Boys - Been awhile since I have been around. I recently lost my fulltime job in MI and moved to Indiana. Now that your all up to date on my Bio - on with the question!

Looking at some new (old) trucks. Just a couple years ago I managed to get a plow for my Chevy 1500. Love having it and the freedom it provides me and some of my friends!

I am looking at trucks and wonder what the thoughts are of the Ford 150 with the V6. I DO NOT do any heavy plowing by any means. Just my drieway and about a half dozen friends.

My Chevy 1/2 ton V8 has done me great with the western plow. Load it down with 600lbs of balast and I'm ready!

I'm thinking perhaps of buying a HST for my next truck because I'm not gonna step into a 250 or 2500 just to plow a few times a month for a couple months.

I have found a really nice 06 Ford 150 but its got the V6 in it. I have confindence it will do everything I need a truck to do on a daily basis but unsure of the plowing capabilities, and I don't want to step backwards into a snow blower! LOL

Questions / Concerns / Comments / Opinions Please.............

Last edited: May 12, 2011
  2. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

I'd hold out for the 4.6 or 5.4 V8. The V6 is underpowered and has not been anywhere near as reliable as the V8's.

3. Clevername

Clevername Member
    from Indiana

Thats what I hear in other circles as well.....

Just wanted to check here cause I have had good luck with the crew here......

4. DIRISHMAN

DIRISHMAN PlowSite Veteran

Ok gonna put my 2 cents worth the new ones withs V6 are dogs for power as far as pushin or pullin but if it was an older one with a inline 6 work horse .Plus the ones with the V6 's there front end in not near as heavy as a V8 for support of a plow for an extra 700lbs hangin off the front. So I agree with a 4.6, 5.4 ,5.8 GOOD LUCK with what evere you do and let us knowThumbs Up WELCOME BACK:)

5. Clevername

Clevername Member
    from Indiana

Well - the Ford I was looking at is now off the list.....

I am currently looking at a 02 Dodge single cab long bed & a 03 Tahoe. Everyone I know is puching me to get the Tahoe and I really like it, but I can't get over the fact of maybe not having a truck for the fist time in 15 years....

6. DIRISHMAN

Well If it was for ablity to haul stuff other than people then the pick up.If not then the Tahoe.One thing you did fail to mention was what size the dodge is 1/2 , 3/4 1.0 ton that deffinitly makes a difference.if there both half tons then not an issue.But if dodge is 3/4 and well the other one is a 1/2 ton then that will make an obvious difference as far as the size plow.I sure as you both capabilities for a plow now become different if they are not the same 1/2 ton rating as mwell as gas milage also.... Good luck Thumbs Up

7. Clevername

Clevername Member
    from Indiana

Both are 1/2 Tons

My current Chevy is a 1/2 Ton and with the extra ballast in the rear - it does just fine.

I'm really undecided as to which vehicle to get but since neither one is a Ford - this prolly is the wrong venue to discuss....LOL

I appreciate the info thus far - You guys always have the best of info....

8. DIRISHMAN

Well then I am a ford person,But if a had to choose between a chevey or a dodge then GMC or Chevey then and dodge would be an after thought.JMO. and way at the bottom of the list.But more realisticly the TAHOE would have a shorter wheel base thus better for small back ups and turn arounds than a reg cab any thing with a 8ft bed...just a little more helpThumbs Up