1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ford V10

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Marty_J, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Marty_J

Marty_J Junior Member

Looking for a truck, finding a lot of Fords with the V10. What are some of your opinions on that motor? Gas mileage, maintenance, power......?

Also what is your opinion on the 460 big block.......? Thanks.......Marty......
  2. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

buy a diesel before the v10 i have heard noting but issues good power crappy gas milage
    i used to have a 460 ran great plenty of power just watch the heads and manifolds they like to rot
  3. ScubaSteve728

ScubaSteve728 Senior Member

test drove a v10 not much of a difference between the v8 except the v10 is a pigggg on gas
  4. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

All i hear is v10's are awesome. Very reliable. They do drink gas but that's about it. My old boss ran a fleet of them. No issues other than manifold studs rusting. Great power. I loved my work truck. Put 65k miles on it and did manifolds and 1 coil pack.
  5. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

I traded in my 07 v-10 a year ago for a new 6.7 diesel. I really liked the v-10 except for the milage. Mine was a 3 valve and made great power. When I got he v-10 I was switching from an 03 5.4 so it was a big step in power. I didn't want a diesel after previoues problems and a the v-10 was only a $600 option vs. $6k plus for the diesel at the time. I really liked the truck and didn't have to many problems with the motor. Had alot with the rest of the truck but other than a manifold under warranty the motor was good. I had a 4" lift on it with 35's in the summer and ran stock tires in the winter. The thing about the v-10 is it doesn't really matter what your doing , towning , big tires, heavy load it get about the same mileage. I averaged 9 mpg. The worst was 6 mpg plowing a large storm and the best was 11 empty on a long 55 mph highway trip. Oh this was with 4:10 gears and the 5 speed auto. I liked the v -10 until I got my new truck I probably wouldn't have ponied up for the diesel but it was a great deal and I love the milage. I average 14 around town towing and have gotten as good as 21 on the same long highway trip as the old truck. The 07 was a regular cab and my new one is a crew if that makes a difference. Both trucks push snow fine with no problems. I really liked my v-10 but with the way gas prices jump around I don't miss buying all that gas!

, shaun
  6. snoway63

snoway63 Senior Member

I have the 05 v10 and all good except the gas mileage but if i wanted good gas mileage i wouldnt buy a truck and as far as it being the same as a v8 so not true lots more torque then a v8 and alot more horsepoer then a v8 yes doesnt get the greates gas mileage but does get around 13 on highway and around 8-9 local if oyu keep your foot off it as far as mechanical not a single problem at over 85000 miles so far and would take it over a deisel for the fact cheaper to repair if something does break and maintenace cost are cheaper
  7. 07F-250V10

07F-250V10 Senior Member

I have a 07 V-10 Its a great engine. I wouldnt even consider the 5.4 if your towing every day. It has really good power and a lot more torque. Itll will get the same gas mileage while towing as the 5.4. I get 8 mpg city with or without a trailer and about 11 on hwy. YES it does drink gas but it has balls
  8. RJ lindblom

RJ lindblom Senior Member

Our new or year old squad truck (EMS, and light extracation etc) fire truck is a 2012 F550 with 3 valve v10. It loves the gas. It will move along really well. It doesn't compare to a 5.4. We have had no maintenance issues with the engine or drive train.

I would not hesitate on a V10. Fully understanding that mileage is not a priority. I woudn't hesitate on a 6.2 gasser either.
  9. Holland

Holland Senior Member

I've got 5 v10's at work. 2 08's and 3 12's. Got around 120k on the 08's and about 15k on the 12's. Other then some blown spark plugs on the 08's, they've been pretty good.
  10. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

I'd say buy a V10 before a 6.0 or 6.4 liter diesel. Known problems and outrageous repair costs make those two diesels a poor choice.
  11. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

It would be impossible for you to have 3 Ford 2012 V10s at work unless they're something other than an F250 or F350. The only gas option available in 2012 was a 6.2 V8 for 250s and 350s.

I know of a number of people who have V10 engines and they've had nothing but good luck with them. My parents have 2 vans with the V10 and a buddy has an Excursion with the V10.
  12. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I'm pretty sure he is talking E series vans, not F series pickups. Usually they offer different motor choices then the pickups both in the gas and diesel versions.
  13. RJ lindblom

RJ lindblom Senior Member

The V10s are an option on the F450s and F550s cab and chasis.
  14. 91AK250

91AK250 PlowSite.com Addict

the V10s are wonderful! i have owned 3 and currently own a '02 with 122k on the clock. all they need is oil changes, gas and regular maintenance.

i daily drive my excursion(V10 4x4 3:73) i see city MPG of 8-10 and highway 11-15. doesnt seem to matter much if a trailer of any weight is behind it it doesn't drop much below 8 unless i idle alot.

cheaper buy in, cheaper maint, VERY reliable and with a tune more then enough power in store. make sure to find one with 4:30 gears though.

we have about 15 2013 f-550s at work we are upfitting for BP that are V10s...they still make them. they now also make them in the 650 version.
  15. Smitty58

Smitty58 Senior Member

I bought a 2005 new f350 v10. Was a great truck with plenty of power until 103000 miles when something broke internally. Had 2 different shops check it out and both told me it needed a new motor. Used motors are almost impossible to find and a new Jasper is $6000 plus labor. Total to do the job $9000. So I sold it and bought an older Ford with a 302. No where near the power but much cheaper to repair. If you have the money for a diesel I would say buy the diesel.
  16. Holland

Holland Senior Member

Yep! my bad! E-series. As mark said, they are a different breed. I've also got 2 2009 E-450's with 6.0's, I'm always being told i'm wrong on that one!
  17. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

The 6.4 was introduced in late 07 early 08, you are wrong

JK LOL :laughing:
  18. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

I'll back you up on that. I have 3 2010 E450 Cutaways with the 6.0. They never seemed to get better over the years though:salute:
  19. KBTConst

KBTConst Senior Member

Maintenance is not to bad, plenty of power and torque, mine gets about 11 or 12 mpg just normal driving, and looking for another one as we speak.
  20. unhcp

unhcp PlowSite.com Addict

Pick the motor which best suits your demands, are you towing? plowing? daily driver?