1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ford V-10 w/170,000

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by redplowman, Nov 26, 2009.

1. redplowman

redplowman Member

Just a quick question. I don't know much about the V-10, never really been interested. I have an oportunity to buy a Super Duty that has the V-10 with 170,000 miles Just wondering what kind of problems if any these engine tend to have. I figure with all the knowledge on plowsite someone would know something. Thank in advance.
  2. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

Not too much. You will have more problems with the truck itself than the engine. I have 2. One with 197k miles and one with 130k miles.

There are only 2 main problems with the v10. 1. is that if you ever change the plugs, they have to be torqued to a specific setting. So make sure its torqued right. And 2. is the exhaust studs. They tend to rust off. So just keep an eye on it.

Other than that their great. What year are you looking at?
  3. F350plowing

F350plowing Senior Member

Had a 2000 Excursion with the V10 i really liked it and you should to
  4. redplowman

redplowman Member

It is a 99 F-250 Ext.cab. The truck is in good shape and I'm getting it well under the current book price. I just don't know much about these engines, didn't want to bite off more than I can chew. Thanks a lot for the info.
  5. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

You'll be fine with the 99. Mine with 130k is a 99. The 197k is a 00. I like the 00 better than the 99, but both still great.

The 99s are a 2v V10. They switched to a 3v later on which got more power and better mileage.
  6. grec-o-face

grec-o-face Senior Member

I've got an 02, just hit 52K. Love it.
  7. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

does have 10 plugs??

some blow !!!!

i had a 1999 V-10 for two years and loved it. i had no problems at all, i just buy a new one( SD) 2 years