1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ford truck won't start

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by BJH Snow, Nov 24, 2014.

1. BJH Snow

BJH Snow Senior Member

Its been a while since I've been on this site but I am hoping someone can help me out. I have a 96 ford f250, v8 7.5 gas. Since last year I've been having issues getting the truck started.

When I try to start the truck with the key in the ignition I get nothing (I've tried in both park and neutral). If I go outside and use a screwdriver I can start it with the solonoid with the key turned into the on position. When I jump the solonoid their is a ground wire that goes from the motor to the fire wall that gets real hot when I do this. Its burned through once and I had to replace it. The solonoid (starter relay) also.

Is this a neutral safety switch issue? Or is their some other relay or switch that is bad?

Any input would be great. This truck is turning into my backup as I just picked up a 1999 f350 diesel.

Thanks Bryan

2. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

Ignition switch. My guess

3. BJH Snow

BJH Snow Senior Member

Thanks I didn't even think of that.

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

I would test light the solenoid and see if your getting signal to it. And yea could be the ign switch

5. jimbo64

jimbo64 Senior Member

6. Bossman 92

Good call on the test light. Seems you always have an answer to fixing problems.

7. Bossman 92

8. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Just remember KISS. Keep it simple stupid.
    But I'd guess the switch to.
    And I did sleep at a holiday inn express last night.

9. Bossman 92

:laughing::laughing:

10. BJH Snow

BJH Snow Senior Member

Thank you guys for your responses. I will check the solonoid and already have the ignition switch on order. I replaced the starter last year but I will look into that after I replace the switch.

Thanks again

11. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

I owned two Fords a 91 and a 95 and both had ignition switch go bad on me

12. jimbo64

jimbo64 Senior Member

13. Bossman 92

14. jimbo64

jimbo64 Senior Member