1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ford Truck Problem

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by wheeler4x4, Feb 10, 2007.

1. wheeler4x4

wheeler4x4 Member

I have a 90 F-250 w/5.8 (351W) E-4OD Auto HD.
    Problem is fuel management.
    I've had it in 4 different shops. Yet they are unable to find out why it runs like Sh**.
    It runs extremeley rich for some reason then the computer drops one bank of injectors.
    Three of the shops have even put in new computers but no luck.
    My question, is it possible to convert to a carb set up w/a new intake or do I have to change the heads also?
    Will the E-4OD trans still work w/a carb conversion?
    The engine & transmission only have one complete season on them pushing snow.
    If I can't get it running I think it'll have to for parts.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance,

2. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Do you know which computer they replaced?? I had a 95 F250 exactly like yours,with very similar problems. It turned out to be the ignition module, and the main computer were fried.

3. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

I don't know if this will help but I had a 92 ranger with the 4.0 in it and the fuel pump went out and we put a new one in and we kinked the return line and it ran like **** . Also got real **** gas mileage to. Have they put on a fuel pressure test to see what kind of pressure you have. Once we did all of the pressure test and that didn't help besides that it had way to much pressure to the motor we started checking the gas lines and the return line was bent at a 90 degree angle. Straitened it out and no more problems. Hope this helps Steve.

4. wheeler4x4

wheeler4x4 Member

I replaced the copmlete ignition system w/module myself.
    The shops replaced the main computer & the ECM computer.
    I'ts probably somethig stupid like an intermittent loosewire/ground

5. Mudman78

Mudman78 Senior Member
    from NJ

Have the fuel pressure checked. It's common for the fuel pressure regulator to go bad and cause it to run extremely rich. Yes, you can put a carb manifold on without changing the heads. No, you can not run an E4OD with a carbed engine unless you get a "stand-alone" control box (computer module) for the trans. The trans gets input from the engine ECM, without it, it won't shift. The stand alone box lets you input the parameters manually and "fool" the trans into thinking it still has EFI. I think Summit carries them.

6. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

Posting the codes would help out a lot.

7. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

EFI is a lot less problems over all. Carb's SUCK!
    You need to find someone who knows what he is doing. Get the Haynes book on EFI and read it, if you are even near a mechanic type person. The problem is there they are just not using their head to find it.They need to watch the fuel pressure over all the engine ranges and check the whole system from tank to fuel rail and back to the tank.The computer does not monitor all the parameters involved. It could even be your oxygen sensor dropping it's reading due to a bad connection or just defective.
    If you have the dual tank, mechanical switching system, it could be the tank switcher throwing in a red Herring too.
    Try changing the pressure regulator on the fuel rail and see what it does. Make sure it has vacuum and you hear it make the VERT noise when you turn the key on.
    I have chased EFI problems so I know a lot about FORD systems.