1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ford Truck Owners, Watch those Corrosion trouble spots...

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by PetalsandPines, Nov 18, 2004.

1. PetalsandPines

PetalsandPines Senior Member

This may be a little off topic, but in my annual check of my 1997 Ford-F-350 I pulled the weather stripping and plastic moulding off the bottom where you step into truck. (The Black strip that secures your flooring material to the bottom of the truck in the doorway) underneath that strip is a square steel channel that runs the length of your doorway entrance and :waving: collects water. (and houses some wires) in my amazement I found this channel PACKED with wet mud, pens, $5 in corroded change, lighters etc...It also started rotting out the metal....I would suggest to those of you that have the floor that you can hose down that you check this "drainage" area and clean it so your floor can breath.. Just a heads up!

2. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

common on all f-series all the way back to at least the 70's. also on some you can remove the kick panel and see weed's growing back there or at least alot of dirt. This is very on common on 80-86

3. proshare

proshare Member

If you are serious about preserving the truck, remove the seat & the whole floor mat/insulation and then clean,dry & rustproof. There are lots of other dirt traps that cause rot on the ford trucks: front cab mounts;cab corners;radiator support especially on the outer corners, if you can get the standing dirt cleaned out get the metal dried and get some rustproofing/paint on the surface while the metal is still ok, you'll have a lot less rust & rot in the future.