1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ford Truck Headlights Wiring Issue.

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by gmshades, Nov 17, 2009.

1. gmshades

gmshades Junior Member

My friend owns an '88 Ford F150. We are in the middle of doing the electrical connections. It is a Western conventional mount plow off either an '87 or '89 Ford F150.

We have the plug-in wiring harness for the truck. I hooked up 2 on-off-on switches. One for the high-beam, one for the low-beam.

No matter what I do with the connections on the truck's headlights, the plow lights work in high and low when switched to plow lights.

The truck's headlights work perfect without the harness attached.

Been testing with a grounded test light.

With both sides of the harnesses disconnected from the trucks headlights, They work fine. On either plug, one has power, the other two are dead.

After connecting either side to a head lamp, all three terminals on the other plug have power.:help:

Has anyone had this problem and know the solution? Thanks in advance.
  2. WeDoSnowplowing

WeDoSnowplowing Senior Member

Need to see if getting power to the plug. If not check the connection where the 2 are together check there for power. Keep check the wires back to the switch. Check the switch to see if power going thur when it is turn on.
  3. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

I take it that both switches are 3 terminal, 2 position with high on one switch and low on the other?

Dont know what harness your using but theres a good chance that you will have to reconfigure the plow harness to match the truck. Need to go to the truckside headlight plugs and make sure that the high and low match the high and low on the plow harness.
  4. gmshades

gmshades Junior Member

Fixed the problem. We had no ground at the truck's headlights. I ran a jumper wire to the fender. Now all the lights work.