1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ford triton v8

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Drewster2012, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Drewster2012

Drewster2012 Senior Member
    from Ma

I've started looking at fords and have found a few f250 and f350/ that have the 5.4 triton. Does anyone own one of these trucks and care to share mpg city/highway. Towing and or plowing? Thanks

2. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I was in your shoes once. I looked and looked and tried to find a truck that got good fuel economy. I finally settled on a 98 Chevy K1500 with a 350/4L60E and 3.73 gears. I had a 7.6' Western Unimount with ProWings on it as well. It got crap fuel mileage. 10-12 was normal, plowing was much worse.

After that truck I moved onto my current pickup, still sucks on fuel.

I'm currently in the market for a different truck as well, I figure it will be worse on fuel then my current truck.

Sorry to say, but buying a 1/2ton and larger truck and expecting to plow/tow/haul/etc and get good fuel economy isn't going to happen. Sure single digit fuel mileage sucks but the truck pays it's own way and that's part of doing business.

If one truck manufacturer had a model truck that got far better economy then any other truck on the market while still plowed/towed/hauled to everyone's satisfaction, guess what everyone would be driving?

Looking for a truck solely based on what gets the best mileage is not going to yield good results. If you think it will then more power to ya. I'll give you a hint, the smallest motor available for each truck model isn't always the one that will get the best economy. You're going to think I'm crazy saying a v10 or big block will get darn near the same economy as a small block v8 when plowing/towing/hauling but it's just how it works.

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

9-10 mpg thats what i get

4. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

4X4 5.4 with auto trans and 4.10 gears 10-12 in town and 13-15 on the highway.

5. Drewster2012

from Ma

I know if I care about fuel economy buy a prius... But this truck is a 4x4 regularcab 5.4 not sure on rear diff Byrnes wondering what general fuel economy would be.. Truck is pretty nice just needs some rust fixed

6. Drewster2012

from Ma

Is that with a crew cab? I'mooking at. regcab 4x4 5.4 tritolm

7. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

The last thing I worry about when buying a truck is fuel economy. It's never going to be great and those who chase MPG on a truck remind me of Heroin addicts always chasing the dragon.

And a reg cab 5.4 triton will be no better than an extended cab 5.4 triton.

8. ScubaSteve728

ScubaSteve728 Senior Member

in another prospective i go through a bout a half a tank in 7 hours of plowing
    and if were you i would stay away from the 5.4 it has no balls.
    i already had to replace my whole engine because it ate the timing chain parts

9. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Yep, power to weight ratio......

I've got a 496 in our 1.5 ton truck. On average (not plowing snow) it's at (+ -)10mpg's all day, everyday.

4.6 liter in our F-150, only gets 10-13 mpg's when working in the summer pulling a trailer. Only reason I have an F-150 with a smaller motor was because I wanted better MPG's when doing the occasional long trip looking at equipment or visiting my family. But it really doesn't even out though as 90% of the time it's getting worked.

Here's another though too. If you are doing your books correctly and tracking all your expenses, you'll find out that fuel isn't your biggest expense. In our case, it roughly accounts for only 10% of our over-head for the entire year. Now I know it might be more for certain types of businesses or maybe less for others.

But the real thing that bothers people about fuel prices is that it's a tangible. It's something you see every day when you fill up. It's not a hidden expense that you only see on paper once a year. So I think the fuel cost mentality rides high in your mind only because you see it daily.

10. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

And getting a diesel these days for fuel economy has gone the way of the DoDo bird. Diesel is .75 cents +/-more a gallon here than regular, so there goes your savings.

11. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Especially in terms of Cab and Chassis vehicles with lower rear end gearing. Only a 2-5mpg difference.

Diesels have their place if they are getting worked and driven constantly. Just really no place in terms of fuel economy with the cost of maintenance now days.

I also tell people I can get a crate gasser motor to replace the one I got for the same price as a set of injectors on a diesel.

12. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

The cab/bed configuration isn't going to matter much.

A XL Rc/lb is going to get similar mileage to a Lariat cc/lb. The only major difference you would see is if one is a srw and the other is a dually.

A rc/lb will weigh more then a lariat cc/lb if you put a toolbox or fuel tank in the bed.

I'd look for a V10 if I was buying a gas superduty. a 5.4 isn't a bad motor, just an F250 or F350 isn't the place for it in my opinion.

13. porabjr

porabjr Member

reg cab, long bed. Last few storms got 5mpg. That was plow blade down 75% of time in 4X4 90% of time. 5.4 is not a powerhouse, but like most guys here will tell you, I run out of traction long before power