1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ford Transmission work

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by srl28, Jan 7, 2013.

1. srl28

srl28 Senior Member

So a few days ago, before our last storm here my check engine light comes on. Before I could scan for codes, the tow/haul light started flashing and the trans temp gauge drops to below zero as if its lost power. Turns out its a trans temp sensor. Its a $20.00 part but to replace it, I need to drop the trans pan.

Went ahead and ordered the temp sensor and also the gasket kit for the trans that includes a transmission filter. My question is while I'm in there is there anything I should be aware of/look for aside from the obvious.

Also, when I go to fill the fluid back up, are there any extra steps I should take ie: add different type of fluid, a lucas oil trans product that says it helps reduce trans wear, etc.??

Truck is a 2007 f250 diesel auto trans. has about 135k on it. Plows, and tows occasionally in warm months.

2. matts27

matts27 Senior Member
    from CT

Fluid ever been changed before/pan dropped and filter changed?
    Biggest thing to look for is clutch material in the pan and filter, silver looking particles, and burnt looking and smelling fluid.
    Good quality fluid that meets OEM spec or above should be fine.

Matt

3. srl28

srl28 Senior Member

Not since I've owned the truck. Believe the fluid was changed once but we never dropped the pan before

Are those trans fluid additives worth it or are they just another mechanic in a bottle gimmick?

4. plowzilla

plowzilla Senior Member

I had a similar problem, check engine and flashing over drive. Mt problem was the trans valve pack. Only advice I could add is after you remove the pan, let it drip for a long time. I didn't and had trans fluid all over me and my hair!!

5. srl28

srl28 Senior Member

Ha ok will do. Used a scanner and the codes showed it was the trans temp sensor so I'm positive it's that. For now at Least. A few on here had a similar issue and said that that's what it was. Fingers crossed that that's what it is.

6. scholzee

scholzee Senior Member

Do you have a dipstick under the hood ? My 08 Expedition does not it has a small stub tube under the truck on the transmision. I used old windshield washer bootles and filled with quart of water at a time then marked a line on it with a sharpie marker. The fluid I drained and put into the washer bootles to measure, then added the same amount back in.

7. srl28

srl28 Senior Member

Well I went this morning to he auto parts store to grab the filter and gasket kit i ordered and it turns out ill need 17.5 quarts of mercron SP which apparently is dealer only?? So I'm sol until I take it to a dealer. Was hoping to just get it done in our shop

8. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

For whatever it's worth...After repairing a tranny line, my dealer had quoted me around $12-$13 per quart. I stopped in my local O'reilly parts store, who offered to pick it up from the dealer for me & sell it to me for around $7 per quart. Got it the next day.

9. hatefulmechanic

hatefulmechanic Senior Member

It uses SP, and I suggest getting everything from Ford and doing it yourself. Its relatively straight forward.

That being said, it may be beneficial to drain the fluid into a clean container, pull the pan, change the TFT sensor, reinstall the old fluid, and have a flush performed with SP at the dealer. DO NOT USE UNIVERSAL ATF.

10. srl28

srl28 Senior Member

Stupid question but I can go and buy the 17 quarts of sp right at the dealer right?

Might get the sensor and gasket/filter kit there too. The auto parts store one seemed very cheaply made

11. hatefulmechanic

Yes, you can get it straight from the parts counter. That is exactly why I advise using all parts for these straight from Ford. A/M is complete crap.

12. srl28

srl28 Senior Member

Yea good idea. Thanks for the advice. Anything else I should know

13. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Right around those years Ford was changing from SP to LV fluid. Double check the dipstick pull and see what it is marked with. If it ends up being Mercon LV, you can use Valvoline Maxlife ATF as it is approved by them for the LV transmissions. If it is truly SP, don't use anything but Mercon SP from the dealer. They will shutter and not shift right if the wrong fluid is used...BEEN THERE!

14. hatefulmechanic

The 5R110 has been used behind the diesel (6.0 or 6.4) since 2003. The gassers changed about that time, but all the diesels used this trans, hence one of the major obstacles to overcome if you try a 7.3 swap in a 6.0 truck.

15. srl28

srl28 Senior Member

Dipstick says mercron sp