1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ford transmission problem how to approach dealer giving me the run around?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Ziob34, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Ziob34

Ziob34 Senior Member

i just bought a ford thats in ct mandatory 60 day 3000 mile warranty and 2 days after i got it i got it on the highway and the o/d light starts flashing (not good) i get the code read by buddies of ours and its a p1744 torque converter control system problem basically the torque converter is going bad.

My question to you guys is its in the warranty but the dealer is giving me the run around on the phone (i work alot) so i have to take a day off and go down there face to face to get this resolved.....any ideas on how to approach it? the dealership already took the rig for 3 days and returned it saying there is no problem its just a sensor behind the dash and were not going to fix it because that isn't the driveability......then tries to offer us a 1 year 12,000 mile powertrain warranty to get out of fixing it.

Any help on what to do when i go down there in person would be appreciated if you've dealt with this kind of nonsense with dealers trying to screw you.......worst case is they sold it to us with this problem and didn't disclose it (we know this as the people who traded it in had it serviced at the same mechanic shop that we use and thats why they got rid of it.

thanks everyone
  2. msu1510

msu1510 Senior Member
    from MI

i wonder if you ask the bbb in your area if they have any tactics that would be tactfull and polite.
  3. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Been down that road before. Go in with a stern hand and don't waiver. Be confident and concise. When you start to get the run around, ask for the next highest up person, and don't waiver when they start to back peddle, which they love to do after being pushed back. Keep going until you get to the top, or start at the top to begin with. If you walk out un satisfied, go straight to a computer and log onto BBB, then file a complaint.

If it were me, I would first take it to the most reputable Transmission shop in your region and get a second opinion. Even if you have to pay for the diagnoses, it's well worth the money. It will go along way with the BBB as well as court if god forbid it ever were to go that far. Keep in mind, if this is an actual major manufacture dealership, they are monitored by the specific manufactures they represent. 9 times out of 10, they will make it right.....even if your the one that is wrong.
  4. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I would go in to the dealership that you bought it from and tell them how it is going to be. If they refuse to fix the problem take it to a tranny shop pay to have it fixed, the sue them for it, plus lost wages, lawyers fees, and whatever else your lawyer tells you to go for. Make sure you tell the dealer exactly what your going to do, and I bet they fix it right away.
  5. juspayme

juspayme Senior Member

take to a tranny shop/ call the district attorney if that mandatory law in ct , he will advise you what to do. may be a civil matter but he or she will point you in the right direction.
  6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

What he said.

How old is the truck? Is it a Ford dealer?
  7. Ziob34

Ziob34 Senior Member

truck is a 2005 not a ford dealer, i know what the problem is now after they gave me the run around and didn't fix it i know there gonna pull it again when i go in....its basically a ticking time bomb ready to blow and they sold it like that and didn't disclose the problem. its got the 60 day 3000 mile all parts and labor covered but as usual they are trying to get out of having to do it by getting through the 60 days.

can you threaten or say you're going to call the regional office that monitors their dealership think that would work? i already know he's going to lie and say thats not the problem and try to offer me some crappy warranty but i have the paperwork and the code its sending after they lied and said it wasn't sending out any error codes it was just a bad sensor.
  8. b&b landscapes

b&b landscapes Member

document document.... one trick those shady dealers do is give you the run around until warranty period is over then you dont have a leg to stand on// Walk in their with a camera and record the conversation and make sure it show the date and time and start with the mileage at the time of your conversation with the dealer just to document the mileage too.
  9. Ziob34

Ziob34 Senior Member

thanks ive been documenting visits mileage etc since we found out the problem isntit fraud that they didnt disclose this issue prior to sale
  10. RepoMan207

from Maine

BBB is your best bet of a threat as this is not a new vehicle. BBB is one of the ways that the Manufactures watch over their dealers. It doesn't matter if it was new or used in this aspect, or whether it's one of their competitor's product, what does matter is their general everyday practices.

As B&B Landscape said, document everything as you've been doing. I brought in a digital recorder during the later steps of my ordeal as they kept twisting my words to the BBB & State.

Another thing to look into is who regulates the auto dealerships in your State. I know where to go in Maine, but that obviously doesn't do you any good as your in CT.

I forget if you mentioned how long that you've had this, but I KNOW for a fact that you have a 30 buyers remorse program in your state, or atleast you did a few years back. I bought my GMC just south of Hartford and looked into everything before cutting a check for it.
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  11. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

is the warranty under ford? if so you should be able to bring it to another ford dealer and see if they cover it.
  12. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

Do not go in there threatening a lawyer that will only shut them down, first thing i do when a customer starts the lawsuit threat is tell them to have there lawyer call our ours.

Go in and talk to the used car manager, he is the one that approves or declines service work before the car gets put out for sale and he is also the one that can make decisions on the warranty claims as long as it's an "in house" warranty and based on the terms it probably is. Be stern but don't be screaming and being a jerk, if he won't take care of it then you need to speak with the General Manager. The GM can override everyone in the dealership as well as the warranty company if there is one(we do these warranties in house) again be stern but don't go crazy on them.
    Maybe they didn't know it was going out but they should cover it anyway if it is listed as a covered item on the warranty paperwork. The Used car manager shouldn't care if warranty fixes your truck, it doesn't come out of the used car department profit anyway, there is a "kitty" set up to pay claims if it is an in house warranty, if not the warranty company pays so it doesn't matter anyway.
    If you have no luck with either the UCM or the GM, at that point you have to make a decision to call the BBB or a lawyer.
    I am a Used car Manager so i am telling you how i act and or react when these situations come up, and sometimes they do come up and we didnt know about as well as sometimes we do know and sell a car cheaper because of it, but i tell people if i do that, although i am sure not all dealerships work the way i do.
  13. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

OP, you say you know what the problem is now... so what is it?
  14. Ziob34

Ziob34 Senior Member

thanks for the input transmission engine etc. things with the driveability of the car are covered on the 60 day warranty so they "have" to fix it but are of course trying to get around it until the warranty expires by lieing they said when it was brought in originally it was fine its just a sensor and the light flashing its not putting off a code.....when in fact its putting off a p1744 which is basically with this transmission saying your torque converter is slipping time for a rebuilt cuz were going to **** the bed soon.
  15. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

If this is the case maybe you can work out a deal with them where you pay for an upgraded single or triple disk TC and they do the labor to put it in a refill the fluid? I don't know if the stock TC is good or not. Would be easy to throw in an input shaft at the same time? I might be giving terrible advice, seeing how I know little about Ford transmissions, however, if you have them replace stock parts with stock parts, you could just be getting new junk.
  16. Ziob34

Ziob34 Senior Member

ideally what will take place is what any transmission shop would do with this code....yanke the tranny and put in either a new or rebuilt one with a warranty......if ford does it they come with 75,000 mile warranty i beleive. we'll see what happens i'm heading there in the morning to get an answer one way or another.
  17. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

get a 2nd opinion from a tranny shop and take that in with you
  18. Ziob34

Ziob34 Senior Member

we'll see what happens today thanks for the advice worste case i'll have to deal with the better busines bureau as i still have time in warranty and maybe have to go above the dealership to the regional manager . overseer.
  19. RepoMan207

from Maine

If it comes down to it, file online. Your able to see their comments and the rest of the case as it progresses. If for some reason the BBB closes your case in hast, simply appeal it and you'll get a thorough investigation the 2nd time around.

Good luck!
  20. 09Busa

09Busa Senior Member
    from NY

I don't know about other states, but here in NY, DMV makes dealers stand behind their warranties. If they are trying to get around youir warranty issue, guaranteed it isn't the first dance with this dealership. Contact your DMV....they like to get involved if they think that the vehicle was sold to you as defective.