1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ford trans.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 351crules, Mar 12, 2004.

1. 351crules

351crules Member

how are your non electric od trannys lasting. i'm tring to make a decition on an od or a c6

2. SCSIndust

SCSIndust Senior Member

I have run two trucks with the C6. They run great, and are pretty much bullet proof. The od are a little weaker. I've heard that a C6 rebuilt with od parts make for a good trans.

3. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

the c6 tranny is very tough

4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

My C-6 has been used hard and has never had a problem. I have been employed on ambulances for the last 25 years and have never had a C-6 die under me. Now the new trannies are a different story! I drove one that had 3 R&R's ( Ford Rebuilds) in 50,000 miles! The C-6 is much cheaper to have rebuilt too.

Our mechanics keep a spare (rebuilt) on on hand at all times.:realmad:

Last edited: Mar 14, 2004
  5. gpin

gpin Senior Member

After knocking out the OD trans twice under warranty a few years ago, the Ford dealer told me that you have to be careful to lock out overdrive with the switch on the end of the shift stalk when you are driving in town. I have not had a problem since. Like everyone else, I never had a problem w/ a C6.

6. MickiRig1

Boy that's nice of them to tell everyone about that little transmission saver. I have never been told to do that in town with an ambulance. I do it all the time tho, I call it "rally mode".
    You turn off the OD and you really see how good a PSD is.
    Plus no hunting for the gear it wants either.

7. 351crules

351crules Member

guys you are taking about the electric od tranny. i'm asking how the non eletric(aod) trannies hold up. c- 6 is nice till you get on the highway.

8. MickiRig1

I have also driven a lot of the old OD transmissions. I don't ever remember one having a problem. It's just after the electronic control ones came in to service (94?) the troubles started. A friend of mine drives an old ambulance with one and he puts 300+ miles a week on it with no problems. There is 120k + miles on the tranny too. He had it rebuilt by a Ford mechanic just after he got the truck.

9. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

Have plowed with them all. besure to install a temp. gage, heat is the killer. I plow in low range only and in 25 years only gone through 1 C-6 and 1 AOD.

Dwan

10. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

C-6 behind a 400, 300 hp 450# of torque plowed all season (60" snow in 15 storms) without a cooler, went mudboggin many times & rolled the truck, several burn off comps that would make the bandag bullet jelous! the day I decided to scrap the truck I did a burnoff approx 4 city blocks long & it was constantly shifting between 2 and 3.... over a 1 minute session I bet it shifted 30 times!

the trans now resides in a caprice wagon and can still chirp the tires going from 1 to 2 lol

11. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

My bother was a Ford man. Had a van with the AOD. Had constant problems with it till we took it to my transmission man. He machined the case and put in a heavier center carrier bearing. Problem solved. Trans man stated that it was a design flaw on the AOD and is his standard upgrade...Chuck