1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ford Trans Update

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by menchhofer, Dec 29, 2004.

1. menchhofer

menchhofer Junior Member
    from IN

Since my Ford 250 SD is down due to transmission being out, I was told Ford would replace the tranny.

Service magr now tells me they have stopped all shipments of trannys. They have fixed the plnetary gear and pin problem and are going to ship updated trannys..but not until Jan 5-6. Anyone else hear of this?

2. Cooters Dodge

Cooters Dodge Member

That's funny because I'm hearing alot of ford owners talk about bad trannies. Dodge fixed their tranny problems back in the late 90's and now ford has their problems. :) The dodge trucks have always had the best motors now it looks like they have the better trannies :) Nothing against the tread starter just wanted to point that out.

3. Cooters Dodge

Cooters Dodge Member

Let me correct myself, dodge has always had the best diesel motors. Gas motors have always been ****** until the hemi came into play.

4. charlieg

charlieg Junior Member

dodge tranies

i don't want to get into anything here but have to ask, if dodge fixed their tranie problems in the 90's. why did the tranies in my 03 liberty and a 01 dokota 4.7 v8 both fail from the same problem at almost the same miles? 32 .000. they are both the new style benz units what gives a fluke? :(

5. DJC

DJC Senior Member

In your opinion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :nono:

6. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

Thats weird. and that sucks. My bro has an 01 Dakota Motorsport (1 of only 1026 made), and his tranny is steller, but its a different tranny thats in yours, and it only has 13k miles on it. and we also have an 03 liberty freedom edition, but its a lease, thanks for pointing it out though, I guess we wont be buying the liberty when the lease is up. I also have a 98 dakota with 80k miles on it, and the trans is holding up real well (nock on wood). Whereas the 94 ford I had to have the trans rebuilt at 128k miles, but its up and steller again :)

Thanks for pointing that out about the liberty. :salute:

7. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

no, every manufacture of autos are having issues with their trannies. IT is more eveident in trucks just because they are being used like they should be. If all these manufactures weren't trying to make the lightest tranny to hold up to al the power....wy do you think ford din't put the electronic overdrive tranny behind a 351, they kept with the c6 for long time.

GMC has the same issue with there trannies not holding up to the 350 for long at all.

Mopar has jsut had transmission probs in all their vehicles since lee Iacoca came there :D

That is why i would rather row, i can toss a clutch in, in a day easily and be back out plowing. . good luck putting new clutch packs in an auto that quick

8. grotecguy

grotecguy Senior Member

I second that.

Mark K

9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

That's the rumor, we'll see if that's what actually happens. From what I can tell there are 2 problems, the planetary gear pin and the casing is too thin, so when the pressure builds up they are cracking. Supposedly a supplier screwed up. I don't really care, because I didn't buy my trucks from the supplier, I bought them from Ford.

There is also going to be either a TSB or recall on the 4WD shifter lever\yoke. Another supplier mistake, or so they say. They are having a lot of problems with the '05's staying in 4WD.

I am so happy that I just spent $40K on a truck and then I can have these problems with only 400 miles on the truck. The 'rumor' going around that it's only '05's with these problems is BS as well. Our '04 had the planetary pin working it's way out as well. My BIL has an '04 that is having the same problems as well. It's any of the new 5 speeds with the 6.0 PS.

10. menchhofer

menchhofer Junior Member
    from IN

I have also had the problem of the truck staying in 4wd. Service manager told be to "try harder" to get it to stay in. I will have this problem addressed after the season is over.

11. HIGHWAYMAN

HIGHWAYMAN Member

just lost another tranny, have fleet of 14-15 250,350 can't seem to get though a storm without have one go. oh well, just keep on pushin

12. bikeluver43

bikeluver43 Member
    from Mass

Its not a benz unit.

13. spacolee

spacolee Member
    from canada

Well that just explains what is worong with my truck 04 350 PSD Trany trouble. Dam :confused: :confused: :confused: Well I hope I don't get snow well it is in the shop.

14. Tevi

Tevi Junior Member

Get one from Brians Truck Shop out of Leadhill Arkansas,He garrantees them for 2 years unlimited mileage nad dosen't matter what you do with it.The mods he does to these things make it tight like a stick

15. fieldday

fieldday Junior Member
    from Wi

fordDR
    New User Join Date: May 2004

05 case cracks from snapring breaking inside case it was changed to a wave style snapring to soften shifts when goind from R-D or vise versa the snap ring breaks and cuts the case it shows up first in trucks with snow plows on theme there is a recall coming to replace the snapring back to the odl style with no problem

16. sbrennan007

sbrennan007 Senior Member

Any updates on your trans? Mine just went in today for leaking trans fluid all over the garage floor.

It's not just the PSD's either. Mine's an '05 with the 5.4L gas motor and the 5 speed trans.

Truck build date was 09.29.04

17. charlieg

charlieg Junior Member

sorry but i don't read the site every day. ford is having a problem with the torqeshift trans case cracking when plowing, even when stuck in soft dirt by rocking them back a forth, and they are aware of the problem. hope your dealer has installed a new trans as in a tsb.

18. Lawn Tek

Lawn Tek Member
    from Ky

Built Ford Tuff or thats what they claim . I have been a Ford man for 24 years ,and damn if I ain't gonna change to something else . With hundreds of engineers and massive test progams , why the hell can't they give us somthing tuff ? I used to hate foreign crap but now I cant wait till the Japs start building large trucks

19. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

At this point in time, the Big 3 deserve to lose all the market share they do to anybody that will listen to their customers and build something decent.

You know what the cheapest test program would be? Put 50 or a 100 trucks in the hands of snowplowers. If a group of snowplowers can't find a weak spot in a truck, tranny engine, then there isn't one.

20. Plowlikehell

Plowlikehell Member

Sorry to hear your SD is down, but at least Ford is taking care of the issues. Sometimes a vendor will make a change after testing, and it isnt caught. Some are very minor and will never effect anyone. But some changes dont show up till later. Personally I developed all the service tools for that transmission, and I really like the updates they have done to it.