1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ford to release an aluminum bodied F150.

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by JustJeff, Feb 3, 2014.

1. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

Click on the link and then go to page four to see the news blip. Not sure how I'd feel about an aluminum body. Rust would no longer be an issue, but how thick/durable would the aluminum body be? Very interesting, could be a game changer for sure if it's successful. Don't know if anybody else is aware of this planned change or if I've just been under a rock for too long, but this is news to me. http://wallstcheatsheet.com/stocks/7-popular-automobiles-getting-full-redesigns-in-2014.html/4/
  2. fordtruck661

fordtruck661 Senior Member
    from CT

Yes I have seen this and think its a great idea with all the salt that gets put on the roads now. As for how strong it will be...Im sure that it cant be a worse than the sheet metal they use now.
  3. bcramblit

bcramblit Member

It sickens me how much of the corrosive crap they throw around now days. In my area they put so much brine down sometimes two days before the storm. The other day on the freeway they put down so much there was a dust cloud from the brine dryed to the roads before the storm. I wish I would have taken a picture. It was frickin bizarre how bad it was. Not, sure aluminum would even resist the corrosive bath of brine we swim in around here.
  4. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

yea the aluminum body is all fine an dandy but what about the frames of the truck there gonna rust to so when the frames rusting or rotted take the body off and put it on a new truck :confused:
  5. OldSchoolPSD

OldSchoolPSD Senior Member

Sounds awesome but its about as useless as tits on a boar. Give me an aluminum bodied super duty I can plow with.
  6. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

They always test on the half-tons. I'm sure if it goes over well it will be on the rest of the models in the next few years as well.
  7. fordtruck661

fordtruck661 Senior Member
    from CT

I agree right now its just being tested. Im sure they will start making the super duty the same. As for the frame its not very often they rust through And are easy to clean. I would be more than happy if that was the only thing I had to worry about rusting.
  8. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

All i can think is the affect of dissimilar metals. There has to be steal in there somewhere. Also, have you ever seen an expiditions tail gate after a few years, talk about corrosion... Not sure that an all aluminum body is going to be a cure all for rust/corrosion issues
  9. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

The Range Rovers have been aluminum for years, I think it will be fine. The main reason they are going to aluminum is to save weight.