1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ford surging

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Mr Patrick, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Mr Patrick

Mr Patrick Junior Member

I have a 93 bronco 5.0l While driving or a idle it will every once in awhile surge just a small flutter maybe 100-200rpm. Any Ideas on what might be causing this any help would be great Thnks Patrick

2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Could be the idle air control or the throttle position sensor.

3. Proscapez LLC

Proscapez LLC Senior Member

Try tapping on your mass air flow sensor, they tend to short out causing those kind of issue's.
    Also try unpluging the mass air flow sensor while it's running and see if that makes a change.
    It also could be dirty.

4. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

They don't have a mass air flow sensor..

5. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

Go to your local parts store or Ford Dealer and buy a can of throttle body cleaner (Not Carburetor cleaner as this will damage the coating on the throttle plate) and remove your idle air bypass valve located on the side of the throttle body clean that out along with your throttle body it should help, also check your EGR valve as it could poss. be stuck open a little bit, you can also clean that as well. When you have your EGR valve off it's a good idea to start your engine for about 5-10 seconds to clean out any loose particles in the exhaust port. Hope this helps.

6. MickiRig1

Make sure your throttle cable and cruise control cables are in their anchor points on the throttle end.They can slide up in their little square holders they set in.This can cause problems with binding since the throttle plate can't completely return to idle position.

7. Mr Patrick

Mr Patrick Junior Member

thank you all for your help. Bad egr valve. Hope you all get some snow Patrick

8. MickiRig1

Make sure the vacuum switch is not sending vacuum to the EGR at idle. I replaced both the switch and the EGR. If you have emissions checks in your area make sure your vacuum reservoir / can is not rusted out.It supplies vacuum to all the stuff that uses it.
    If it is, I can tell you how to fix it.

9. Mr Patrick

Mr Patrick Junior Member

Hey thanks for your help,been busy salting but will check on that soon thanks Patrick

10. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

I had the same thing happen to my 94 f150 5.0 at around 125k miles or so. If I recall correctly it was an oxgen sensor, but I could be mistaken, as that truck was a pos and everything broke on it and had to be replaced anyway.

11. MickiRig1

There are other things that can cause surging and idle problems. Chasing intermittent problems can drive you nuts. Till it fails for good they are real hard to find. Try to do -testing - research - read the repair manual and stay away from just replacing parts. It will just upset you when the $35 part did nothing to solve the problem.

12. BOSS550

BOSS550 Senior Member

Fuel filter starting to plug up comes to mind speaking of cheap parts that can drive ya nuts:dizzy: